Aug 15, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
With 49 points in 68 games, Daniel Alfredsson tied Niklas Kronwall for the Detroit Red Wings’ team lead and appears pretty eager to play another season. On the other hand, he’s 42, presenting plenty of questions about how much longer he can be a valuable contributor.
It sounds like the Red Wings aren’t ready to answer that question just yet. GM Ken Holland told TSN 1020 that the decision won’t be made until September and even told Ian Mendes that a training camp tryout isn’t out of the question. Holland sounded unconvinced either way, noting that Alfredsson plans on staying in Detroit with his family in the interim.
Holland cites the team’s significant uncertainty regarding injuries as a factor in the situation.
(Kukla’s Korner’s George Malik found the audio, with the Alfredsson discussion kicking in around the eight-minute mark, if you want to hear more.)
It’s probably fair to say that the biggest argument against bringing back Alfredsson revolves around age, or at least the idea that he might take opportunities from players who are in the meat of their prime years. Gustav Nyquist and Tomas Tatar had a big impact on the team’s surge to a playoff spot amid injuries to a wide array of players, yet Winging It in Motown points out that Alfredsson received heavy usage on the power play; would those minutes provide valuable opportunities to Tatar, Nyquist or even Anthony Mantha?
Training camp could indeed provide a valuable opportunity to make such an assessment, even if doesn’t really provide a big window of observation. There are some solid arguments for both sides of the equation, so it’s easy to see why the Red Wings aren’t making that call just yet.
May 27, 2015, 12:09 AM EDT
Game 7. Friday in New York.
May 26, 2015, 11:34 PM EDT
“Boy, that escalated quickly…”
May 26, 2015, 11:03 PM EDT
Ben Bishop pulled in the third period.
May 26, 2015, 10:29 PM EDT
Timonen is averaging under 10 minutes of ice time per game in playoffs.
May 26, 2015, 9:45 PM EDT
Hadn’t scored since April 4.
May 26, 2015, 9:16 PM EDT
New York scored to make it 2-0 soon after that.
May 26, 2015, 8:52 PM EDT
New York needs the win to force Game 7.
May 26, 2015, 8:13 PM EDT
“We’ve had a lot of informal discussions with people about this, but us or the city have yet to be presented with any kind of offer.”
May 26, 2015, 7:24 PM EDT
New York facing elimination, yet again.
May 26, 2015, 6:29 PM EDT
“I’ve had some people reach out to me,” the Red Wings GM said.
May 26, 2015, 5:24 PM EDT
Meanwhile, GM Doug Armstrong says, “Show me a well-liked coach, and I’ll show you a losing coach.”
May 26, 2015, 4:57 PM EDT
But let’s not call it the end of an era.
May 26, 2015, 4:31 PM EDT
Michael Russo of the StarTribune being the reporter.
May 26, 2015, 3:55 PM EDT
“The Flyers have never intentionally tried to lose. That would put a foul taste in my mouth. “
May 26, 2015, 2:46 PM EDT
“Does he ride guys hard and has he been on my case at times, where it’s made me angry? Yes. But he does it in the light of trying to make our team better, trying to make each individual player better.”
May 26, 2015, 2:14 PM EDT
Had a bad giveaway in Game 5, but those giveaways are going to happen occasionally.
May 26, 2015, 1:30 PM EDT
Could be held out of tonight’s potential series-clinching tilt.
May 26, 2015, 1:10 PM EDT
But there’s nothing imminent, according to his agent.
May 26, 2015, 12:34 PM EDT
The 36-year-old played just 14:44 last night in Anaheim.
May 26, 2015, 11:55 AM EDT
“There has been some discussion and there will continue to be.”
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 0
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 9
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 33
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 9
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 32
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 38
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)