Aug 15, 2014, 4:48 PM EDT
By just about any measure, the 2013-14 season was a rough one for Pittsburgh Penguins defenseman Rob Scuderi. Considering the fact that he’s 35, many likely believe that those struggles are a harbinger of more ugly numbers to come, but the veteran blueliner provided at least some reason for optimism to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette’s Shelly Anderson.
While former Penguins GM Ray Shero nearly described Scuderi as the one who got away considering his often-successful time with the Los Angeles Kings, there was already a debate revving up regarding his value in the summer of 2013. That criticism has only gotten louder after a season that was a disappointment by a wide array of metrics. Pensburgh probably described it in the most amusing way while reviewing his lousy campaign:
Imagine a tire fire, now think of something worse. Multiply that by two, then square it. Now multiply that by three. We’re getting close.
That doesn’t sound very promising.
The question is: what are the chances that Scuderi can actually bounce back? He only speaks vaguely about how he might improve (including being a “little bit selfish,” which seems like an odd goal for a guy who peaked at 16 points in a season), yet the organization’s front office reboot and perhaps a cleaner bill of health might just make a difference.
Scuderi is one of those defensemen who are at their best when you don’t really notice what they’re doing – as in, they’re not making mistakes – so the Penguins are probably hoping that he’s only making subtle adjustments anyway.
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 29
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 15
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)