Aug 15, 2014, 4:48 PM EDT
By just about any measure, the 2013-14 season was a rough one for Pittsburgh Penguins defenseman Rob Scuderi. Considering the fact that he’s 35, many likely believe that those struggles are a harbinger of more ugly numbers to come, but the veteran blueliner provided at least some reason for optimism to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette’s Shelly Anderson.
While former Penguins GM Ray Shero nearly described Scuderi as the one who got away considering his often-successful time with the Los Angeles Kings, there was already a debate revving up regarding his value in the summer of 2013. That criticism has only gotten louder after a season that was a disappointment by a wide array of metrics. Pensburgh probably described it in the most amusing way while reviewing his lousy campaign:
Imagine a tire fire, now think of something worse. Multiply that by two, then square it. Now multiply that by three. We’re getting close.
That doesn’t sound very promising.
The question is: what are the chances that Scuderi can actually bounce back? He only speaks vaguely about how he might improve (including being a “little bit selfish,” which seems like an odd goal for a guy who peaked at 16 points in a season), yet the organization’s front office reboot and perhaps a cleaner bill of health might just make a difference.
Scuderi is one of those defensemen who are at their best when you don’t really notice what they’re doing – as in, they’re not making mistakes – so the Penguins are probably hoping that he’s only making subtle adjustments anyway.
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 20
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)