Aug 15, 2014, 5:52 PM EST
It’s not exactly a well-kept secret that Kevin Hayes will spurn the Chicago Blackhawks and become a free agent once midnight rolls around, but the team made it official on Friday. They also shared the team’s compensation as he walks: Chicago will receive a second-round pick (54th overall) in the 2015 NHL Draft for its troubles.
Here’s a statement from GM Stan Bowman:
“We offered Kevin what we believed was a generous and fair contract. Unfortunately, he felt it was in his best interests to become a free agent. We are looking forward to the compensatory draft pick we are receiving and are focused on the excitement surrounding the start of training camp next month.”
The Blackhawks selected Hayes, 22, with the 24th pick in 2010, but considering the excitement surrounding next year’s draft, getting the 54th selection isn’t the worst thing that could happen. Here’s a fun way to look at it:
Granted, that excitement might have more to do with high-end talent than overall depth, but perhaps the Blackhawks could package that pick for a nice rental during the trade deadline or any other number of beneficial possibilities.
Things simply haven’t worked out between the Blackhawks and the Hayes family. Jimmy Hayes was also in Chicago’s system before being traded to the Florida Panthers as part of the package that landed Kris Versteeg.
Kevin Hayes’ rumored logic for leaving the Chicago pipeline is simple enough: many believe that he simply didn’t have the same chance to crack the starting lineup as he would in rumored destinations such as Florida, Calgary and even Boston. (The Calgary Flames gave the long version of a “no comment” when asked about their interest in Hayes, for one.)
Hayes is generally believed to be NHL-ready, and with his enticing size, he could inspire a fairly interesting bidding war. Granted, much of that entertainment is limited since he can only make so much money on an entry-level deal, but this is relatively solid drama considering how deep we are into the hockey summer.
Mar 4, 2015, 11:36 PM EST
He’s been consistently putting the puck in the net at the NHL level since 1996.
Mar 4, 2015, 11:06 PM EST
What better way to make an impression on new teammates.
Mar 4, 2015, 10:40 PM EST
Mar 4, 2015, 9:49 PM EST
Big Buff out could be a Big Loss for Winnipeg.
Mar 4, 2015, 9:26 PM EST
Good news for NYR.
Mar 4, 2015, 8:48 PM EST
Big Buff doing Big Buff things.
Mar 4, 2015, 8:26 PM EST
Also, for causing “significant injury.”
Mar 4, 2015, 7:23 PM EST
8 p.m. ET, on NBCSN
Mar 4, 2015, 6:50 PM EST
“It’s definitely an issue that needs a collective focus from our managers and the league in terms of how to deal with it.”
Mar 4, 2015, 6:18 PM EST
“It’s probably undeniable that down the road when [Chara] is done with his career, if Bergeron is here it would be pretty hard to not make him the next captain.”
Mar 4, 2015, 5:30 PM EST
An Original Six matchup at the Joe.
Mar 4, 2015, 4:43 PM EST
Has appeared in just three games for the Blue Jackets since being traded from Toronto.
Mar 4, 2015, 4:13 PM EST
‘Hawks are hoping he can “recapture” his early-season form.
Mar 4, 2015, 3:32 PM EST
Hurt it in practice.
Mar 4, 2015, 3:04 PM EST
Another small crowd last night at BB&T Center.
Mar 4, 2015, 2:28 PM EST
News and notes from around the crease…
Mar 4, 2015, 2:09 PM EST
“You can never have too many d-men at this time of the year.”
Mar 4, 2015, 2:04 PM EST
Detroit captain draws in for the first time in four games.
Mar 4, 2015, 1:53 PM EST
Veteran tough guy hopeful to return by the playoffs.
Mar 4, 2015, 12:49 PM EST
Boyle and the Rangers take on Detroit (on NBCSN), Tanguay and the Avs will play Pittsburgh.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 6
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 8
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 46
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)