Aug 14, 2014, 9:16 PM EDT
In 2006, Peter Laviolette led Carolina to the Stanley Cup employing a pair of assistant coaches — Kevin McCarthy and Jeff Daniels.
This season, he’s hoping to do much of the same in Nashville.
The Preds won’t add a third assistant to Laviolette’s staff for this season, according to The Tennessean. Instead, Laviolette will work alongside McCarthy and Phil Housley, passing on finding a replacement for Lane Lambert, who left the Preds organization to join Barry Trotz in Washington this past June.
“Peter is fine with where we are,” Preds GM David Poile said. “The Lane situation, with him going to Washington seems to be a really good fit. Peter seems to be comfortable with Kevin McCarthy, who he has worked with in other locations, and Phil.”
Though hardly revolutionary, it is interesting that Laviolette will go with just two assistants this year. He routinely had three on his staff in Philly (McCarthy, Joe Mullen and Craig Berube most notably) and the trend seems to be that coaching and front office staffs are getting bigger, not smaller.
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 35
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 11
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 25
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)