Aug 14, 2014, 9:16 PM EST
In 2006, Peter Laviolette led Carolina to the Stanley Cup employing a pair of assistant coaches — Kevin McCarthy and Jeff Daniels.
This season, he’s hoping to do much of the same in Nashville.
The Preds won’t add a third assistant to Laviolette’s staff for this season, according to The Tennessean. Instead, Laviolette will work alongside McCarthy and Phil Housley, passing on finding a replacement for Lane Lambert, who left the Preds organization to join Barry Trotz in Washington this past June.
“Peter is fine with where we are,” Preds GM David Poile said. “The Lane situation, with him going to Washington seems to be a really good fit. Peter seems to be comfortable with Kevin McCarthy, who he has worked with in other locations, and Phil.”
Though hardly revolutionary, it is interesting that Laviolette will go with just two assistants this year. He routinely had three on his staff in Philly (McCarthy, Joe Mullen and Craig Berube most notably) and the trend seems to be that coaching and front office staffs are getting bigger, not smaller.
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 3
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 11
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 18
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)