Aug 14, 2014, 9:16 PM EDT
In 2006, Peter Laviolette led Carolina to the Stanley Cup employing a pair of assistant coaches — Kevin McCarthy and Jeff Daniels.
This season, he’s hoping to do much of the same in Nashville.
The Preds won’t add a third assistant to Laviolette’s staff for this season, according to The Tennessean. Instead, Laviolette will work alongside McCarthy and Phil Housley, passing on finding a replacement for Lane Lambert, who left the Preds organization to join Barry Trotz in Washington this past June.
“Peter is fine with where we are,” Preds GM David Poile said. “The Lane situation, with him going to Washington seems to be a really good fit. Peter seems to be comfortable with Kevin McCarthy, who he has worked with in other locations, and Phil.”
Though hardly revolutionary, it is interesting that Laviolette will go with just two assistants this year. He routinely had three on his staff in Philly (McCarthy, Joe Mullen and Craig Berube most notably) and the trend seems to be that coaching and front office staffs are getting bigger, not smaller.
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 30
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 23
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 20
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 48
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 33
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 27
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 46
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)