Aug 14, 2014, 9:16 PM EDT
In 2006, Peter Laviolette led Carolina to the Stanley Cup employing a pair of assistant coaches — Kevin McCarthy and Jeff Daniels.
This season, he’s hoping to do much of the same in Nashville.
The Preds won’t add a third assistant to Laviolette’s staff for this season, according to The Tennessean. Instead, Laviolette will work alongside McCarthy and Phil Housley, passing on finding a replacement for Lane Lambert, who left the Preds organization to join Barry Trotz in Washington this past June.
“Peter is fine with where we are,” Preds GM David Poile said. “The Lane situation, with him going to Washington seems to be a really good fit. Peter seems to be comfortable with Kevin McCarthy, who he has worked with in other locations, and Phil.”
Though hardly revolutionary, it is interesting that Laviolette will go with just two assistants this year. He routinely had three on his staff in Philly (McCarthy, Joe Mullen and Craig Berube most notably) and the trend seems to be that coaching and front office staffs are getting bigger, not smaller.
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 16
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)