Aug 14, 2014, 3:27 PM EDT
Then there’s the guy that went No. 11 overall — Kyle Beach.
Beach, a Chicago draftee that was traded to the Rangers last season, has signed in Austria with EC Red Bull Salzburg, the club announced on Thursday. The move comes after the 24-year-old spent last season between AHL Rockford and Hartford, along with a brief stint on loan in Sweden with HV71.
A former WHL standout who’s junior career was marked with disciplinary issues, Beach has received plenty of attention (yes, from this site specifically) despite having never played a regular-season NHL game. He was a compelling story in his draft year and continued to be one during his professional career; last summer, Chicago gave him a one-year extension to possibly replace Dan Carcillo as the team’s “sandpaper” element… but three months later, the ‘Hawks waived him during the preseason.
“There’s been a lot of guys that have made that next step and got a chance here,” Hawks coach Joel Quenneville said at the time of waiving Beach, per the Sun-Times. “I guess you’ve got to earn it.
“Some guys got the opportunity based on how they were playing.”
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)