Aug 14, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Versatile Nashville center Mike Fisher likely won’t return from his torn Achilles tendon until late November, GM David Poile said on Wednesday.
“He’s working out on a regular basis here,” Poile explained, per The Tennessean. “Everything is tracking to date, but the bottom line is still a four- to six-month injury. Optimistically, Thanksgiving and end of November. That’s an optimistic target.”
Fisher tore his Achilles in early July and underwent corrective surgery on July 3. The 34-year-old has served as the Preds’ alternate captain since 2011 and had a solid campaign last season, scoring 20 goals and 49 points in 75 games. Fisher also averaged 19:45 TOI — the second-highest total of his career — while finishing second on the team in faceoffs, with 1146.
At the time of his injury, Nashville looked to be decimated at center as it was left with just Olli Jokinen, Matt Cullen, Paul Gaustad and Colin Wilson. The Preds have since added veterans Mike Ribeiro and Derek Roy, though, and now have fairly decent depth at the position.
- BREAKING: Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 5
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 19
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 9
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 2
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 43
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 26
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 49
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)