Aug 13, 2014, 4:20 PM EST
Victor J. Coleman, the CEO of real estate group Hudson Pacific Properties, has reportedly signed a “non-binding” agreement for Hansen’s proposed SoDo arena, one that “lays out the terms for Coleman’s contribution to the project and his potential revenue streams for a hockey franchise.”
More, from King 5:
It’s clear Coleman has the support of the NHL. One league executive describes him as “the real deal,” and he was flanked by the NHL’s top leaders during a clandestine meeting in Seattle back in May.
Coleman and co-investor Jonathan Glaser, who sits on the board of Hudson Pacific, met face to face with Seattle Mayor Ed Murray and King County Executive Dow Constantine in separate meetings in Seattle. NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman and Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly were also on hand. The parties all left without an agreement or plan to move forward. Coleman says he feels like he’s made progress since.
“We have a clear path,” he said.
Two sources with knowledge of the talks between Hansen and Coleman say that the two potential owners met in person a couple of weeks ago, and have been actively talking for months.
In speaking with King 5, Coleman described himself as a passionate hockey fan — “I remember the day we got the Canucks,” he said — and one with a clear vision for the Pacific Northwest rivalry between Vancouver and Seattle.
“I think the demographic base (in Seattle) and the desire of the NHL in that marketplace is the perfect match right now. The expansion of the NHL into the Pacific Northwest, with Vancouver and the presiding area, makes it a perfect fit,”he explained.
“There are built in synergies. That’s a ‘Day 1’ rivalry.”
Hansen, a successful hedge fund manager, has long stated he’s only interested in owning an NBA club. Other prospective NHL owners have expressed an interest in tackling the hockey side of things — Don Levin and Ray Bartoszek, most notably — but, according to King 5, only Coleman has laid out the groundwork for potential revenue streams and project contributions.
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 1
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 7
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 15
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 17
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Garbutt to have hearing for kneeing Hall 3
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)