Aug 13, 2014, 6:19 PM EDT
The 23-year-old defenseman is the lone remaining restricted free agent from last year’s roster who has not come to contract terms. He is coming off a three-year, $4.5 million entry-level deal.
General manager David Poile sounded hopeful a resolution could be reached soon. Veterans are scheduled to report for training camp on Sept. 17.
“Like 99 percent of negotiations that aren’t done at this time we just don’t agree exactly on what the dollars should be,” Poile said. “Hopefully it will be done by training camp. That’s what our target is.”
Ellis is in an interesting situation. The 11th overall pick and fourth defenseman off the board in 2009 — taken ahead of Calvin de Haan and Nick Leddy — he struggled to find his niche in his first two professional seasons but broke out in ’13-14, posting career highs in games played (80), goals (six), assists (21) and points (27).
Yet in Nashville, he’s stuck amongst a glut of blueliners.
Shea Weber and Roman Josi are the top two guys, and Seth Jones arrived on the scene last year and became the No. 3 (with the understanding he’s talented enough to eventually push for one of the top two spots). As a result, Ellis only averaged 16:04 TOI per game last year, though that number is expected to increase under Peter Laviolette’s new uptempo system, which should fit Ellis’ offensive skillset and puck-moving ability.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 2
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)