Aug 13, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Former Tampa Bay Lightning forward Ryan Malone has been having a hard time of late. He was bought out of his contract by the team in late June and in April he was arrested for DUI and cocaine possession.
As it turns out, the cocaine part of the story was a surprise to him at the time.
Joe Smith of the Tampa Bay Times reports Malone was unaware he had cocaine on him when he was pulled over by police.
“I asked where it came from,” officer Andrew Visser wrote in his report. “And he said he was just shocked.”
Malone plead not-guilty to the charges, but according to court documents obtained by the Tampa Bay Times he had 1.3 grams of cocaine in his possession. He also initially refused a field sobriety test but had a blood-alcohol level of 0.112 and 0.116 when he was booked. The legal limit in Florida is 0.08.
Malone is currently a free agent and may not be likely to land with a new team until his legal issues are sorted out.
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 1
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 3
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 10
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 34
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 9
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 32
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 38
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)