Aug 13, 2014, 3:24 PM EDT
Big changes in the desert — the Phoenix Coyotes have already been re-branded as the Arizona Coyotes and soon, Jobing.com Arena will become… the Gila River Arena.
On Wednesday, Coyotes CEO Anthony LeBlanc announced a nine-year partnership agreement with Gila River Casinos — the first “federally recognized Tribal naming rights deal with a sports venue that houses one of four major professional sports leagues in the country” — ending the building’s agreement with Jobing.com, which had been in place since 2006.
“On behalf of the entire Arizona Coyotes organization and IceArizona, we are thrilled to partner with Gila River Casinos and the Gila River Indian Community,” LeBlanc said in a statement. “Like the Coyotes, the Gila River Indian Community prides themselves on their commitment to business excellence and to their community.”
The Gila River deal still needs to be approved by Glendale City Council, which is set to occur on Sept. 9. Financial terms of the agreement were not disclosed.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)