Aug 13, 2014, 3:24 PM EDT
Big changes in the desert — the Phoenix Coyotes have already been re-branded as the Arizona Coyotes and soon, Jobing.com Arena will become… the Gila River Arena.
On Wednesday, Coyotes CEO Anthony LeBlanc announced a nine-year partnership agreement with Gila River Casinos — the first “federally recognized Tribal naming rights deal with a sports venue that houses one of four major professional sports leagues in the country” — ending the building’s agreement with Jobing.com, which had been in place since 2006.
“On behalf of the entire Arizona Coyotes organization and IceArizona, we are thrilled to partner with Gila River Casinos and the Gila River Indian Community,” LeBlanc said in a statement. “Like the Coyotes, the Gila River Indian Community prides themselves on their commitment to business excellence and to their community.”
The Gila River deal still needs to be approved by Glendale City Council, which is set to occur on Sept. 9. Financial terms of the agreement were not disclosed.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 0
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 36
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 11
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)