Aug 12, 2014, 10:03 AM EST
Bruins restricted free agent defenseman Torey Krug is still without an NHL contract, but word out of Boston is he may have a new offer to ponder.
According to a report from CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty, Krug has received an offer from a KHL team.
Haggerty points out Krug could’ve been in line for a similar three-year, $10 million deal, which Tampa Bay Lightning forwards Tyler Johnson and Ondrej Palat signed. However, with the Bruins already over the salary cap per CapGeek, Krug would have to leave money on the table to sign in Boston.
With an opportunity to build on his rookie season, which saw him appear on the Bruins’ power play, and establish himself as an NHL-regular, it’s hard to understand why Krug would seriously consider crossing the Atlantic. Following the 2014-15 season, Bruins defensemen Johnny Boychuk, Adam McQuaid and Matt Bartkowski are all scheduled to become unrestricted free agents.
Krug’s best bet would be to sign a one-year deal and seek a raise next summer where currently the Bruins have upwards of $20 million to play with.
The 23-year-old Livonia, Mich. native has 14 goals and 42 points in 82 career NHL games all with Boston. The un-drafted blue liner saw his three-year entry-level contract expire in July.
Krug burst on to the scene during the 2013 playoffs, after being recalled from Providence on an emergency basis. He appeared in 15 games for the Bruins scoring four goals and two assists after playing just three career regular season games.
If Krug decided to sign in the KHL, he wouldn’t be the only RFA to bolt overseas this summer, Blues forward Vladimir Sobotka left in favor of the Russian league signing a deal with Avangard Omsk.
- PHT interviews Jim Nill, who’s ‘not surprised’ by Stars’ early-season struggles 0
- Mark Howe on his father’s health: ‘He’s back in the ballgame’ 3
- Holland: ‘I’m not against fighting’ 8
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 22
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 5
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 11
- Video: Coyotes defeat Oilers with 0.3 seconds remaining in OT 3
- It’s ‘unlikely’ Duncan Keith has the mumps, says Blackhawks coach 3
- Bjugstad scores the winner as Panthers, Capitals make history with 20-round shootout 21
- Yep, Beau Bennett has the mumps 24