Aug 12, 2014, 3:09 PM EDT
Chris and Ryan Bourque may be minor league mainstays to this point in their respective careers, but both are hoping they can make a case for NHL roster spots and reunite with the New York Rangers this season.
If you’re wondering about the last name, yes they’re both sons of Hall of Famer Ray Bourque.
Ryan, originally a third-round selection of the Rangers in 2009, signed a new contract with the Rangers last week. The 23-year-old is coming off a season where he scored a career-best 21 goals and 37 points in 74 games for the Hartford Wolf Pack of the AHL.
Chris, the elder of the two, signed a one-year deal with the Rangers on July 2, which will pay him $600,000 at the NHL level should he make the team. At 28, Chris is the more experienced of the two having appeared in 51 NHL games with Washington, Pittsburgh and Boston. Originally a second round selection of the Capitals in 2004, Chris split last season between the KHL and Switzerland. He did however have 10 goals and 38 points with the Providence Bruins during the 2012-13 season, his last in North America. Chris added a goal and three helpers in 18 games with Boston that season.
“It’s going to be an awesome experience,” Ryan Bourque told Blueshirts United Tuesday. “There’s not many fields out there, or even in sports, where someone can experience something like this. We always said growing up that we would want to do this if we could. The fact that it all fit in and worked out this year is incredible. It’s definitely going to be an unbelievable experience and we are definitely excited about it.”
“Every camp provides an opportunity, but this is really a big year for me,” he said. “This is an opportunity for me to get serious looks to see if I can make a difference. I am going to try and make the most of the opportunity because there are spots to be won.”
Though it’d be a nice story, it’s doubtful both Chris and Ryan make the defending Eastern Conference champions roster out of training camp. The blue shirts added NHL veterans Matthew Lombardi and Tanner Glass, among others, in free agency.
But if it’s any consolation, they could be reunited with the Rangers’ top farm club, the Wolf Pack for 2014-15.
Sep 18, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
Could be a slow road to recovery.
Sep 18, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT
At least the Blue Jackets’ GM is ruling out surgery.
Sep 18, 2014, 3:51 PM EDT
He’ll miss at least months, GM Ron Hextall said.
Sep 18, 2014, 3:16 PM EDT
Hey, he’s got less than eight years to go.
Sep 18, 2014, 2:25 PM EDT
“I don’t think I had a conversation with Torts until Christmas last year.”
Sep 18, 2014, 2:24 PM EDT
“The next time I’ll talk publicly about Jaden is when we sign him.”
Sep 18, 2014, 1:42 PM EDT
Never boring in Toronto.
Sep 18, 2014, 12:36 PM EDT
And it’s probably going to be Ryan McDonagh.
Sep 18, 2014, 12:12 PM EDT
Two key youngsters on a Stars team with high hopes.
Sep 18, 2014, 12:06 PM EDT
Former first-round pick missed extensive time to a torn ACL.
Sep 18, 2014, 11:42 AM EDT
Taken 16th overall in 2007.
Sep 18, 2014, 11:27 AM EDT
Remember him? Taken 3rd overall in 2004… behind Alex Ovechkin and Evgeni Malkin.
Sep 18, 2014, 11:10 AM EDT
Tough blow for a kid looking to make the leap this season.
Sep 18, 2014, 11:01 AM EDT
Just a precautionary measure, said GM Jim Rutherford.
Sep 18, 2014, 10:35 AM EDT
He spent a lot of time on the sidelines last season, but Pittsburgh leaned on him heavily when he was healthy.
Sep 18, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT
Retired Finnish star was diplomatic after being made a healthy scratch, but now he’s opening up.
Sep 18, 2014, 9:01 AM EDT
Is it still reasonable to believe this might have a relatively happy ending for both sides?
Sep 18, 2014, 7:57 AM EDT
Thursday’s collection of links.
Sep 17, 2014, 10:48 PM EDT
Brendan Bell also gets a chance to impress.
Sep 17, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
A clothing-conscious post.
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 4
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 19
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 9
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 8
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 17
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 33
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 24
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)