Aug 11, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Nashville’s defense already looks pretty good going into 2014-15, but Seth Jones is something of a question mark.
The 19-year-old blueliner (he’ll turn 20 on Oct. 3) has a lot of upside, but his rookie campaign was far from perfect and while that’s not surprising or worthy of condemnation, it still remains to be seen how long it will take him to break out.
Predators GM David Poile seemed hesitant to set the bar too high for Jones, but he is clearly upbeat about the defenseman’s development.
“For 19 years old I’m not sure what you’re supposed to expect, but he did a lot of really good things,” Poile told NHL.com. “I know he had some bumps in the road. I think his plus/minus (minus-23), you’d like to be better, but he went over to the [2014 IIHF] World Championship and played really well; best defenseman in the tournament. He’s been working out all summer. I’m expecting real good things. Just a little bit better in every area.”
Sophomore campaigns obviously aren’t always kind, but the Predators can afford to take some of the pressure off of Jones. Shea Weber and Roman Josi each averaged over 26 minutes per game last season and will likely shoulder the bulk of the burden again in 2014-15.
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 39
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 9
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)