Aug 11, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Nashville’s defense already looks pretty good going into 2014-15, but Seth Jones is something of a question mark.
The 19-year-old blueliner (he’ll turn 20 on Oct. 3) has a lot of upside, but his rookie campaign was far from perfect and while that’s not surprising or worthy of condemnation, it still remains to be seen how long it will take him to break out.
Predators GM David Poile seemed hesitant to set the bar too high for Jones, but he is clearly upbeat about the defenseman’s development.
“For 19 years old I’m not sure what you’re supposed to expect, but he did a lot of really good things,” Poile told NHL.com. “I know he had some bumps in the road. I think his plus/minus (minus-23), you’d like to be better, but he went over to the [2014 IIHF] World Championship and played really well; best defenseman in the tournament. He’s been working out all summer. I’m expecting real good things. Just a little bit better in every area.”
Sophomore campaigns obviously aren’t always kind, but the Predators can afford to take some of the pressure off of Jones. Shea Weber and Roman Josi each averaged over 26 minutes per game last season and will likely shoulder the bulk of the burden again in 2014-15.
- Video: Johnny Hockey puts on a show in Flames win 0
- Video: Red Wings’ fans show support for Gordie Howe 0
- Burrows suspended three games for ‘late hit to the head’ on Emelin 11
- Blues say Center for Disease Control hasn’t been to Scottrade, don’t plan on it coming 7
- Agent: Vanek was not ‘involved’ in money laundering 12
- Even after big changes, Isles still struggling defensively 13
- Back to junior: Sabres return Reinhart to WHL Kootenay 4
- Report: Phone hearing for Burrows, who says hit on Emelin wasn’t late 38
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 12
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 37
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (46)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)