Aug 11, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Throughout the month of August, PHT will be dedicating a day to all 30 NHL clubs. Today’s team? The Vancouver Canucks.
After back-to-back first round exits under head coach Alain Vigneault, Canucks GM Mike Gillis fired Vigneault and replaced him with John Tortorella under the belief that the new bench boss would make Vancouver a better playoff team. Things obviously didn’t go as planned.
Vancouver ranked 28th in the league in goals scored per game and Tortorella’s system drew a lot of heat due to those offensive woes. Even the Sedin twins weren’t exempt as Henrik and Daniel finished the campaign with 50 and 47 points respectively.
Without much offensive support, the situation became dire in Vancouver. Although Tortorella initially led them to a 23-11-6 record, the Canucks went into a 13-24-5 free fall. Over the course of that collapse, they were subjected to a number of humbling events.
The Canucks suffered a 9-1 blowout loss to Anaheim on Jan. 15, which was so bad that Ducks coach Bruce Boudreau seemed to expressed some regret for the way his team humiliated Vancouver.
Vancouver arguably hit rock bottom when it collapsed against the Islanders on March 10. The Canucks had a 3-0 lead in that game before they conceded seven goals in the third period. Ryan Kesler, who is now with Anaheim after requesting a trade, called that collapse embarrassing.
What’s the good news for Vancouver? All of that is in the past now.
The Canucks have been nothing if not active this summer. For starters Gills and Tortorella are out in Vancouver and have been replaced by new GM Jim Benning and head coach Willie Desjardins. The Canucks also named Trevor Linden as the team president in April.
As mentioned above, the Canucks accommodated Kesler by trading him and a 2015 third round pick to Anaheim in exchange for Nick Bonino, Luca Sbisa, a 2014 first round pick (Jared McCann), and a third round selection. The Canucks then sent that third round pick to the Rangers to get Derek Dorsett while New York drafted Keegan Iverson.
On top of all that, the Canucks dealt Jason Garrison, Jeff Costello, and a 2015 seventh round selection to the Tampa Bay Lightning for a second round pick, which they then used to get 23-year-old forward Linden Vey from the Kings. Los Angeles drafted Roland McKeown with the pick.
Sep 19, 2014, 11:17 AM EDT
Will the men have to face NHLers?
Sep 19, 2014, 11:07 AM EDT
“But maybe we can control the top lines and outperform the lower lines.”
Sep 19, 2014, 10:56 AM EDT
“I’m sure they’re up to the task.”
Sep 19, 2014, 10:23 AM EDT
Understands what RFA Ryan Johansen is currently going through.
Sep 19, 2014, 9:47 AM EDT
Going old school for upcoming season.
Sep 19, 2014, 9:29 AM EDT
Missed Thursday’s activities.
Sep 19, 2014, 8:46 AM EDT
Hopes to find the right fit on his second line.
Sep 18, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
Jamie McGinn and John Mitchell also rank among the already-wounded.
Sep 18, 2014, 10:08 PM EDT
Peter Chiarelli also (kinda sorta) addressed Johnny Boychuk rumors.
Sep 18, 2014, 10:07 PM EDT
He won’t be paid or count against the cap while he’s injured.
Sep 18, 2014, 9:37 PM EDT
Everyone wins … except Minnesota’s other goalies.
Sep 18, 2014, 8:45 PM EDT
Maybe the English version of his book will be kinder?
Sep 18, 2014, 7:50 PM EDT
Sep 18, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
He fits right in with the Flyers.
Sep 18, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
Could be a slow road to recovery.
Sep 18, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT
At least the Blue Jackets’ GM is ruling out surgery.
Sep 18, 2014, 3:51 PM EDT
He’ll miss at least months, GM Ron Hextall said.
Sep 18, 2014, 3:16 PM EDT
Hey, he’s got less than eight years to go.
Sep 18, 2014, 2:25 PM EDT
“I don’t think I had a conversation with Torts until Christmas last year.”
Sep 18, 2014, 2:24 PM EDT
“The next time I’ll talk publicly about Jaden is when we sign him.”
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 4
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 24
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 14
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 7
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 27
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)