Aug 11, 2014, 8:45 PM EDT
It’s looking more and more like Daniel Alfredsson will be returning to the Detroit Red Wings next season.
Red Wings GM Ken Holland spoke with Ansar Khan of Mlive.com and gave his thoughts on what they’re looking at regarding the 41-year-old Swede. It sounds like a new contract is coming Alfie’s way.
“My take is we’re probably going to try to do something with Alfie,” Holland said Monday. “He had a good year, 19 goals. When he was healthy, he was valuable.”
Alfredsson, along with Niklas Kronwall, were the Wings’ leading scorers last season. The part about “when he was healthy” is key as Holland said he doesn’t expect him to play all 82 games. He pointed to the bevy of young forwards the team has to help pick up the slack. If that’s the case, he’s got a lot of backup support.
Gustav Nyquist, Tomas Tatar, Tomas Jurco, Luke Glendening, and Riley Sheahan all played key roles for the team down the stretch while veterans like Alfredsson, Pavel Datsyuk, Johan Franzen, and Henrik Zetterberg all dealt with injuries throughout the season.
Having a copious amount of quality depth like that comes in handy for situations like this with older players you know will need rest.
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 11
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 36
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 17
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 29
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)