Aug 11, 2014, 4:48 PM EDT
New York Islanders owner Charles Wang is finding out the hard way that trying to sell the team is a big headache.
According to Barbara Ross of the New York Daily News, Andrew Barroway has filed suit against Wang for $10 million for backing out of an agreement to sell the team to him for $420 million.
According to court documents, Barroway alleges the two sides had a “handshake” agreement to purchase the team at that price, but Wang pulled the offer off the table only to return months later asking for $548 million for the team, to which Barroway refused to pay. Wang then told him he sold the team to another party on Aug. 1.
The source of Wang’s angst and change of mind on the price? The Los Angeles Clippers. From the Daily News:
“Wang was having seller’s remorse,” the court papers say, “because he believed he had agreed to sell the Islanders for a price too low after hearing the unrelated news that a $2 billion bid was place to purchase” the Clippers.
As far as the Islanders being sold, that would be news to everyone because no announcement of a sale has been made and once Barroway and Wang stopped discussing a deal, it was assumed Wang was back to square one.
It seems that even when things are going well over the summer for the Islanders, there’s always something new to pop up and become a distraction. This time it may prove to be a costly one for the owner.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 70
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 42
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 33
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)