Aug 11, 2014, 4:48 PM EST
New York Islanders owner Charles Wang is finding out the hard way that trying to sell the team is a big headache.
According to Barbara Ross of the New York Daily News, Andrew Barroway has filed suit against Wang for $10 million for backing out of an agreement to sell the team to him for $420 million.
According to court documents, Barroway alleges the two sides had a “handshake” agreement to purchase the team at that price, but Wang pulled the offer off the table only to return months later asking for $548 million for the team, to which Barroway refused to pay. Wang then told him he sold the team to another party on Aug. 1.
The source of Wang’s angst and change of mind on the price? The Los Angeles Clippers. From the Daily News:
“Wang was having seller’s remorse,” the court papers say, “because he believed he had agreed to sell the Islanders for a price too low after hearing the unrelated news that a $2 billion bid was place to purchase” the Clippers.
As far as the Islanders being sold, that would be news to everyone because no announcement of a sale has been made and once Barroway and Wang stopped discussing a deal, it was assumed Wang was back to square one.
It seems that even when things are going well over the summer for the Islanders, there’s always something new to pop up and become a distraction. This time it may prove to be a costly one for the owner.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (73)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)