Report: Penguins, Wild, Capitals pursuing Bissonnette

Aug 10, 2014, 10:51 PM EST

Paul Bissonnette Getty Images

Former Coyotes enforcer Paul Bissonnette has had to wait quite a while to land his next contract, but he might not be an unrestricted free agent for much longer.

The Minnesota Wild and Pittsburgh Penguins are both interested in signing the 29-year-old forward, according to Fox Sports’ Craig Morgan’s source. The same source listed the Washington Capitals as another team in the running for his services, which meshes with an early statement from Bissonnette’s agent, Mark Guy.

Bissonnette was used sparingly by the Coyotes in 2013-14 and he’s hoping to establish himself as a more regular contributor on his next team.

The Capitals are believed to be his most likely destination, but it’s worth noting that the Penguins originally drafted him in 2003. He ended up playing in 15 games with Pittsburgh before they lost him off of waivers in 2009.

1. grimm19 - Aug 10, 2014 at 11:25 PM

if nothing else, he’s good for his twitter posts.

2. letsgocaps88 - Aug 10, 2014 at 11:40 PM

Capitals really couldn’t go wrong with him. Let Tom wilson get more ice time on the 3rd line , I would think if PB came to DC.

3. btlpper68 - Aug 11, 2014 at 12:09 AM

All these sites make it sound like he’s a too free agent

4. wutangwild - Aug 11, 2014 at 12:47 AM

Now that Heater is gone we do have a vacancy for Twitter personality…

5. fightingwild - Aug 11, 2014 at 7:10 AM

I have to call shenanigans on this post. Why would the Wild have any interest in a guy who can’t score? Plus it would be one more roster spot taken from a young player who can score (Well ok, hopefully score.) He would only get marginal playing time if he were to sign with the Wild.

• ThatGuy - Aug 11, 2014 at 11:28 AM

The Wild under fletcher have always had a face puncher. The team currently doesn’t have one. It could make a little sense in that regard as we know Fletcher and Yeo think there is some value in it.

• jaythehelmetguy - Aug 11, 2014 at 12:52 PM

Isn’t Rupp still on the roster?

• fightingwild - Aug 12, 2014 at 1:30 PM

True but the Wild signed that defenseman nicknamed the “wrecker”. He seems like quite the puncher plus they now have Falk back & have quite a few 6-4 brutes on the IA Wild who will be injury call ups. Of course BizNasty is a personality & that would add attention. Jay, Rupp has gone the way of the DODO, he played only a handful of games last year due to a knee injury on 11-12 season.

6. twpguy1964 - Aug 11, 2014 at 7:30 AM

PENGUINS? WHY? I live in Pittsburgh, and The media and fans complain about the Flyers and the Broad street bullies for 30 years, now their trying to be like them

• hockey412 - Aug 11, 2014 at 8:32 AM

First of all the Flyers of today are not the same as the Broad Street Bullies of yesterday. Having a guy like this on your roster does not make you the Broad Street Bullies – having 10 forwards like him does.

The Pens did some good things this year but didn’t answer the “so who’s going to stop someone like Marc Staal from cross-checking our twice concussed Captain in the back of the head” question – you dig? It’s not going to be Downy, at least I doubt it will. He’ll play Cooke’s roll, but nothing more.

I’m torn on it, they need character (and have, since Talbot left) but “eh”. I do hope they go after Hayes, if he doesn’t sign in Chicago, though.

• 7mantel - Aug 11, 2014 at 9:36 AM

Staal isn’t a dirty player by any stretch of the imagination so why use that as an example ?

• hockey412 - Aug 11, 2014 at 10:02 AM

Because he was cross-checking our twice concussed Captain in the back of the head.

• 7mantel - Aug 11, 2014 at 2:49 PM

Cosby is a saint ?

• hockey412 - Aug 11, 2014 at 4:20 PM

Nope! And I don’t believe I called him one – this isn’t a saint’s game. He’s not, neither is Staal..and neither would the guy be whom they bring in to make sure that liberties aren’t taken with the back of Crosby’s cranium. It’s not about fighting, in my opinion, I can’t stand how someone has to fight after every good, clean hit (not that those were clean cross-checks, and not that I’m specifically talking about Staal and only Staal – using him as an example). I’m talking about turning the ‘consequence factor’ up a notch when it happens. Approaching the player, letting him know what’s coming, then wearing that player down as an example. The Pens can’t do that currently. It pains me to say it (truly) but they need a…well…Rinaldo.

Now I feel dirty. Thanks a lot.

• 7mantel - Aug 11, 2014 at 7:57 PM

OK 412 You explained it well ! Now go shower !

• ibieiniid - Aug 11, 2014 at 8:56 AM

any thoughts on Aaron Asham? Rick Tocchet? Dave Schultz!?

• hockey412 - Aug 11, 2014 at 9:04 AM

Kasparaitis…

We might as well throw Neal in there.

• ibieiniid - Aug 11, 2014 at 9:44 AM

oh I was talking about pretty prototypical Flyers playing for the Pens at some point after. Dave Schultz as a Penguin goes back 30 years…. so I’m not sure what he’s referring to.

• hockey412 - Aug 11, 2014 at 10:03 AM

Ahhhhh, gotcha – didn’t make the connection. A little slow…eff you, Monday….

• blynasty - Aug 11, 2014 at 10:31 AM

How does Cooke not get mentioned?

• ibieiniid - Aug 11, 2014 at 10:45 AM

I realize Bissonnette was never a Flyer either, but again, I was talking about concrete examples of the Penguins “trying to be like [the Flyers]” by taking former Flyer tough guys/agitators onto their own team.

my point from my first post, even tho you can practically smell the vodka/craft beer from the weekend on my logic, was that the Flyers personnel strategy, aside from a few years in the 70s, is essentially the same as half the other teams in the league. “oh man… the Flyers tend to employ tough hockey players! Well I NEVER!”

7. sjrulz17 - Aug 11, 2014 at 9:01 AM

Paul has never felt this special before.

8. guitarhunterdude - Aug 11, 2014 at 10:43 AM

I’ve got no interest in a guy who calls himself “Biznasty.”

• ibieiniid - Aug 11, 2014 at 10:49 AM

who calls one self by a NICKname?

…nevermind…

9. navyeoddavee9 - Aug 11, 2014 at 11:52 AM

I think you are going over board on the Broadstreet Bullies comparison, every team needs and employs these types of players, Penguins are no different

10. gkc3 - Aug 11, 2014 at 1:14 PM

I have no idea why the Caps would add him. It’s already going to be tough to move Tom Wilson up in the lineup and with another player, that’ll only become harder

More than a Stanley Cup hangover?
Top 10 NHL Player Searches