Aug 10, 2014, 8:10 PM EDT
Would it be unreasonable to say that Arizona Coyotes head coach Dave Tippett is on the hot seat going into the 2014-15 campaign?
On the one hand, Tippett is a highly regarded coach that won the Jack Adams Award in 2010 and led the small market Coyotes to the playoffs in each of his first three seasons on the job. He also guided them to their first ever trip to the conference finals in 2012. On top of all that, Tippett signed a five-year contract extension in 2013.
He certainly wouldn’t be the first bench boss to get fired with years left on his agreement though. Coaches are judged on what they’ve done lately and their fall from grace can be hard and fast. The Coyotes have failed to make the playoffs for two straight seasons and GM Don Maloney recently suggested that “maybe we got a little complacent with people being here too long.”
He was talking about the lack of hunger in the group and was likely referring to the players and not Tippett, but if the team isn’t sufficiently energized then that reflects on the coach.
None of this is to suggest that Tippett is on the brink of getting fired, but if the Coyotes have another bad season, would that be enough to cost him his job?
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 4
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 32
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 40
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 157
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 16
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 5
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 24
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 29
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (160)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)