Aug 10, 2014, 8:10 PM EDT
Would it be unreasonable to say that Arizona Coyotes head coach Dave Tippett is on the hot seat going into the 2014-15 campaign?
On the one hand, Tippett is a highly regarded coach that won the Jack Adams Award in 2010 and led the small market Coyotes to the playoffs in each of his first three seasons on the job. He also guided them to their first ever trip to the conference finals in 2012. On top of all that, Tippett signed a five-year contract extension in 2013.
He certainly wouldn’t be the first bench boss to get fired with years left on his agreement though. Coaches are judged on what they’ve done lately and their fall from grace can be hard and fast. The Coyotes have failed to make the playoffs for two straight seasons and GM Don Maloney recently suggested that “maybe we got a little complacent with people being here too long.”
He was talking about the lack of hunger in the group and was likely referring to the players and not Tippett, but if the team isn’t sufficiently energized then that reflects on the coach.
None of this is to suggest that Tippett is on the brink of getting fired, but if the Coyotes have another bad season, would that be enough to cost him his job?
- It’s Toronto Maple Leafs Day at PHT 0
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 19
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 40
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 35
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 30
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM (40)