Aug 10, 2014, 8:10 PM EST
Would it be unreasonable to say that Arizona Coyotes head coach Dave Tippett is on the hot seat going into the 2014-15 campaign?
On the one hand, Tippett is a highly regarded coach that won the Jack Adams Award in 2010 and led the small market Coyotes to the playoffs in each of his first three seasons on the job. He also guided them to their first ever trip to the conference finals in 2012. On top of all that, Tippett signed a five-year contract extension in 2013.
He certainly wouldn’t be the first bench boss to get fired with years left on his agreement though. Coaches are judged on what they’ve done lately and their fall from grace can be hard and fast. The Coyotes have failed to make the playoffs for two straight seasons and GM Don Maloney recently suggested that “maybe we got a little complacent with people being here too long.”
He was talking about the lack of hunger in the group and was likely referring to the players and not Tippett, but if the team isn’t sufficiently energized then that reflects on the coach.
None of this is to suggest that Tippett is on the brink of getting fired, but if the Coyotes have another bad season, would that be enough to cost him his job?
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 2
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 2
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 5
- Devils fire DeBoer 21
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 7
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 21
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)