Aug 10, 2014, 8:10 PM EDT
Would it be unreasonable to say that Arizona Coyotes head coach Dave Tippett is on the hot seat going into the 2014-15 campaign?
On the one hand, Tippett is a highly regarded coach that won the Jack Adams Award in 2010 and led the small market Coyotes to the playoffs in each of his first three seasons on the job. He also guided them to their first ever trip to the conference finals in 2012. On top of all that, Tippett signed a five-year contract extension in 2013.
He certainly wouldn’t be the first bench boss to get fired with years left on his agreement though. Coaches are judged on what they’ve done lately and their fall from grace can be hard and fast. The Coyotes have failed to make the playoffs for two straight seasons and GM Don Maloney recently suggested that “maybe we got a little complacent with people being here too long.”
He was talking about the lack of hunger in the group and was likely referring to the players and not Tippett, but if the team isn’t sufficiently energized then that reflects on the coach.
None of this is to suggest that Tippett is on the brink of getting fired, but if the Coyotes have another bad season, would that be enough to cost him his job?
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 3
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 16
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 23
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 14
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)