Aug 10, 2014, 8:10 PM EDT
Would it be unreasonable to say that Arizona Coyotes head coach Dave Tippett is on the hot seat going into the 2014-15 campaign?
On the one hand, Tippett is a highly regarded coach that won the Jack Adams Award in 2010 and led the small market Coyotes to the playoffs in each of his first three seasons on the job. He also guided them to their first ever trip to the conference finals in 2012. On top of all that, Tippett signed a five-year contract extension in 2013.
He certainly wouldn’t be the first bench boss to get fired with years left on his agreement though. Coaches are judged on what they’ve done lately and their fall from grace can be hard and fast. The Coyotes have failed to make the playoffs for two straight seasons and GM Don Maloney recently suggested that “maybe we got a little complacent with people being here too long.”
He was talking about the lack of hunger in the group and was likely referring to the players and not Tippett, but if the team isn’t sufficiently energized then that reflects on the coach.
None of this is to suggest that Tippett is on the brink of getting fired, but if the Coyotes have another bad season, would that be enough to cost him his job?
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 17
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 17
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 77
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 18
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 14
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 46
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 5
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (77)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)