Aug 10, 2014, 5:38 PM EST
Arizona Coyotes GM Don Maloney bought out Mike Ribeiro’s contract over “behavioral issues” and let Radim Vrbata walk because he demanded a no-trade/no-movement clause. Those forwards tied for fourth and second on the team in points respectively, so the obvious question now is how will the Coyotes fill that void.
Keep in mind that they ranked 20th in goals per game in 2013-14, so this isn’t a minor issue. It’s possible to make the playoffs while finishing towards the bottom of the league in goals scored, but that would put even more pressure on goaltender Mike Smith than he’s already facing.
The Coyotes didn’t make a big splash on the free agent market, but they did take on the final two seasons of Sam Gagner‘s three-year, $14.4 million contract. The 25-year-old forward (who is celebrating his birthday today) is coming off of a rough campaign, but he might be part of the solution in Arizona.
Gagner did enjoy a breakout campaign in the shortened 2013 season, scoring 14 goals and 38 points in 48 contests. He obviously regressed in 2013-14, but he missed most of October after breaking his jaw during training camp and that might be largely to blame for his struggles.
After watching his contract get passed around from Edmonton to Tampa Bay to Arizona this summer, he should have plenty of motivation to prove himself.
Beyond Gagner, the Coyotes will likely have to hope that their young forwards are capable of picking up the slack. Mikkel Boedker, 24, took a big step forward last season with his 51-point campaign. Max Domi might also make the leap to the NHL in 2014-15.
Throw in a full season of Martin Erat, who the Coyotes acquired from Washington in March, and there’s the potential for the Coyotes’ offense to at least be serviceable, although it certainly remains a big question mark going forward.
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 17
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (67)