Aug 10, 2014, 1:59 PM EST
Most hockey fans remember Don Waddell as the former GM of the Atlanta Thrashers and the guy who wasn’t able to turn them into anything other than a regular lottery team.
Since stepping down from that job and seeing the Thrashers moved to Winnipeg, he’s spent time with the Pittsburgh Penguins and was just recently hired by the Carolina Hurricanes as the new team president.
Waddell’s job there, according to Luke DeCock of the News & Observer, will be to get the team’s finances in order and it’s a challenge he’s eager to tackle.
“My focus is on revenue-generating departments,” Waddell said. “Obviously, I’ve still got lots of other departments that need time and service, but my biggest focus is how we’re going to generate revenue in the short and long term.”
It’s easy to take shots at Waddell’s work with the Thrashers, and let’s face it some of his moves are still worthy of derision, but he’s someone who’s been a big figure with USA Hockey and he’s respected through the sport.
Still, moving from one Southern market to another in a means to try and help the Hurricanes generate better business is an interesting move.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 23
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 11
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 76
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 15
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (77)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)