Aug 10, 2014, 1:59 PM EDT
Most hockey fans remember Don Waddell as the former GM of the Atlanta Thrashers and the guy who wasn’t able to turn them into anything other than a regular lottery team.
Since stepping down from that job and seeing the Thrashers moved to Winnipeg, he’s spent time with the Pittsburgh Penguins and was just recently hired by the Carolina Hurricanes as the new team president.
Waddell’s job there, according to Luke DeCock of the News & Observer, will be to get the team’s finances in order and it’s a challenge he’s eager to tackle.
“My focus is on revenue-generating departments,” Waddell said. “Obviously, I’ve still got lots of other departments that need time and service, but my biggest focus is how we’re going to generate revenue in the short and long term.”
It’s easy to take shots at Waddell’s work with the Thrashers, and let’s face it some of his moves are still worthy of derision, but he’s someone who’s been a big figure with USA Hockey and he’s respected through the sport.
Still, moving from one Southern market to another in a means to try and help the Hurricanes generate better business is an interesting move.
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 30
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 23
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 20
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 48
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 33
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 27
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 46
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)