Aug 10, 2014, 11:30 AM EST
When the New York Rangers signed defenseman Dan Boyle to a two-year deal, they’re hoping he can do for them what he did with the San Jose Sharks. They want Boyle to create chances from the blue line, generate offense, and quarterback a power play that’s been in desperate need of a guy to do that for a while.
No big deal, right? Boyle knows he’s going to need to get it done in New York as Steve Zipay of Newsday shared.
“There’s going to be some pressure, I know,” said Boyle, who had six goals and 18 points with the man-advantage in what he termed a subpar 2013-14 season. “I’m just going to try to help, maybe provide some different looks.”
When you look at the Rangers setup on the power play, you can understand why they believe adding Boyle will help. Ryan McDonagh is an all-world player on the blue line and will get his time there, but after that things got a bit weird.
Dan Girardi was generally paired up with McDonagh at even strength, but it was Brad Richards with him on the power play. Now that he’s in Chicago after being bought out, that opens that spot up. In the playoffs, John Moore played the third-most minutes on the power play followed by Raphael Diaz, Anton Stralman, and Marc Staal.
It’s easy to see how Boyle will fit in there, now it’s just a question if at 38 years old he can still bring it.
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 32
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 3
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 57
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)