Aug 9, 2014, 11:47 AM EST
The Ottawa Senators are interested in signing Marc Methot to a long-term contract before the 29-year-old defenseman becomes an unrestricted free agent in the summer of 2015, but their efforts to do so have hit a roadblock, according to the Ottawa Citizen.
Methot might be seeking a substantial pay increase from his current four-year, $12 million contract after Brooks Orpik signed a five-year, $27.5 million deal with the Washington Capitals as an unrestricted free agent. Methot has drawn comparisons to Orpik, but he’s also about four years younger.
The Senators might not be willing to spend that kind of money on Methot though, especially seeing as they don’t typically spend to the cap. It’s also worth noting that Ottawa already has five defensemen signed to one-way contracts through the 2015-16 campaign and that doesn’t include 20-year-old Cody Ceci, who took a big step forward last season.
Methot is an Ottawa native and has expressed a desire to stick with the Senators, but if the two sides can’t close the gap, then they might trade him.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 65
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 73
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (144)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (73)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)