Aug 9, 2014, 11:47 AM EST
The Ottawa Senators are interested in signing Marc Methot to a long-term contract before the 29-year-old defenseman becomes an unrestricted free agent in the summer of 2015, but their efforts to do so have hit a roadblock, according to the Ottawa Citizen.
Methot might be seeking a substantial pay increase from his current four-year, $12 million contract after Brooks Orpik signed a five-year, $27.5 million deal with the Washington Capitals as an unrestricted free agent. Methot has drawn comparisons to Orpik, but he’s also about four years younger.
The Senators might not be willing to spend that kind of money on Methot though, especially seeing as they don’t typically spend to the cap. It’s also worth noting that Ottawa already has five defensemen signed to one-way contracts through the 2015-16 campaign and that doesn’t include 20-year-old Cody Ceci, who took a big step forward last season.
Methot is an Ottawa native and has expressed a desire to stick with the Senators, but if the two sides can’t close the gap, then they might trade him.
- Report: Canes’ Jordan Staal to make season debut Monday 1
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 6
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 8
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 6
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 73
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 4
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (73)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)