Aug 9, 2014, 11:47 AM EDT
The Ottawa Senators are interested in signing Marc Methot to a long-term contract before the 29-year-old defenseman becomes an unrestricted free agent in the summer of 2015, but their efforts to do so have hit a roadblock, according to the Ottawa Citizen.
Methot might be seeking a substantial pay increase from his current four-year, $12 million contract after Brooks Orpik signed a five-year, $27.5 million deal with the Washington Capitals as an unrestricted free agent. Methot has drawn comparisons to Orpik, but he’s also about four years younger.
The Senators might not be willing to spend that kind of money on Methot though, especially seeing as they don’t typically spend to the cap. It’s also worth noting that Ottawa already has five defensemen signed to one-way contracts through the 2015-16 campaign and that doesn’t include 20-year-old Cody Ceci, who took a big step forward last season.
Methot is an Ottawa native and has expressed a desire to stick with the Senators, but if the two sides can’t close the gap, then they might trade him.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)