Aug 9, 2014, 11:47 AM EST
The Ottawa Senators are interested in signing Marc Methot to a long-term contract before the 29-year-old defenseman becomes an unrestricted free agent in the summer of 2015, but their efforts to do so have hit a roadblock, according to the Ottawa Citizen.
Methot might be seeking a substantial pay increase from his current four-year, $12 million contract after Brooks Orpik signed a five-year, $27.5 million deal with the Washington Capitals as an unrestricted free agent. Methot has drawn comparisons to Orpik, but he’s also about four years younger.
The Senators might not be willing to spend that kind of money on Methot though, especially seeing as they don’t typically spend to the cap. It’s also worth noting that Ottawa already has five defensemen signed to one-way contracts through the 2015-16 campaign and that doesn’t include 20-year-old Cody Ceci, who took a big step forward last season.
Methot is an Ottawa native and has expressed a desire to stick with the Senators, but if the two sides can’t close the gap, then they might trade him.
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 2
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 19
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 16
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Garbutt to have hearing for kneeing Hall 3
- The day before Thanksgiving, six new playoff teams 16
- What they’re saying about St. Louis’ return to Tampa Bay 22
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers face Red Wings on Rivalry Night 13
- Video: Canucks honor Quinn with “O Danny Boy” 9
- Video: Stars’ Klingberg scores from center ice 4
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)