Aug 9, 2014, 5:15 PM EST
Things haven’t been great for the Anaheim Ducks in Game 7s the past couple seasons.
In 2013, they lost in the first round to the seventh-seeded Detroit Red Wings in seven games. This past season saw them lose in seven to the eventual Stanley Cup Champions, the Los Angeles Kings, again in seven games.
“The biggest thing was experiencing something like that,” Fowler said. “We had a pretty young team, aside from guys like Teemu [Selanne] and Saku [Koivu] – guys who had been in situations like that. For the rest of us, that was our first Game 7 besides when we lost to Detroit the season prior.
“Just being in that situation, a game away from the Conference Finals, we now have that experience as a team. We know what it takes. That was the main difference. LA had a more experienced group and they knew what that situation was like. That’s why you saw the result you saw. We have that to lean back on. If we get that opportunity again, we’ll know how to approach it.”
The possibility of that happening again is strong in the Western Conference, especially in the Pacific Division. With the Ducks, Kings, San Jose Sharks, Vancouver Canucks, and Arizona Coyotes it’s going to be a brutal run to the postseason.
Should the Ducks find themselves in another Game 7, having Ryan Kesler on the roster may help give them an edge and not just to match up against the other beastly centers in the West.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)