Aug 8, 2014, 4:00 PM EST
Washington Capitals forward Nicklas Backstrom represented his native Sweden in the 2014 Winter Olympics, but he wasn’t allowed to participate in the gold medal game against Canada because he tested positive for a banned substance. It was later revealed that the substance in question was pseudoephedrine, which was in his system because he was taking the allergy medication Zyrtec-D on the advice of a Swedish team doctor.
So while Backstrom wasn’t awarded a silver medal at the same time as the rest of his teammates, the IOC ruled in March that he would receive one. Fast forward five months and his time is almost at hand.
The current plan is to give him his medal during a pregame ceremony for a Swedish league game on Aug. 28, per Pro Hockey Magazine’s Linus Hugosson.
The contest will feature Brynas IF Gavle, which is the club Backstrom played for before making the transition to the NHL. He has spent the bulk of the offseason in Sweden and recently participated in a scrimmage with his old team.
(h/t CSN Washington)
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)