Aug 8, 2014, 11:59 AM EST
First, the argument for YES:
Of course the Dallas Stars are Stanley Cup contenders. How can you possibly look at that collection of talent and say they’re not? They’ve got two of the top young stars in the NHL with Tyler Seguin and Jamie Benn. Plus, they added Jason Spezza, giving them the kind of one-two punch down the middle that only the league’s elite teams possess. And, oh yeah, they also signed Ales Hemsky, one of the most underrated wingers in the game. Plus, 19-year-old Valeri Nichushkin is only going to be better this season. Heck, you could argue the Stars were legitimate contenders in 2013-14. They were a top 10 possession team during the regular season, and if goalie Kari Lehtonen hadn’t underperformed in the playoffs, they would’ve beaten the Ducks.
Now, the argument for NO:
Look, the Stars have some nice pieces up front. Nobody’s denying that. And nobody’s denying they’re a fun team to watch. But Cup contenders? Come on. That blue line is not even close to championship caliber. You know who wins Stanley Cups? Teams with guys like Drew Doughty, Duncan Keith, and Zdeno Chara playing big minutes on the back end. You know who doesn’t? A team with Alex Goligoski and Trevor Daley on its top pair. How Jim Nill is “excited” about his defense is a complete mystery. Maybe in a few years, when some of the Stars’ defensive prospects have developed, we can say they’re legit contenders. But not yet. Especially not in the Western Conference.
OK, go vote:
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated) 13
- In praise of the Hamburglar 14
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 8
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 20
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 31
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 54