Aug 8, 2014, 11:59 AM EDT
First, the argument for YES:
Of course the Dallas Stars are Stanley Cup contenders. How can you possibly look at that collection of talent and say they’re not? They’ve got two of the top young stars in the NHL with Tyler Seguin and Jamie Benn. Plus, they added Jason Spezza, giving them the kind of one-two punch down the middle that only the league’s elite teams possess. And, oh yeah, they also signed Ales Hemsky, one of the most underrated wingers in the game. Plus, 19-year-old Valeri Nichushkin is only going to be better this season. Heck, you could argue the Stars were legitimate contenders in 2013-14. They were a top 10 possession team during the regular season, and if goalie Kari Lehtonen hadn’t underperformed in the playoffs, they would’ve beaten the Ducks.
Now, the argument for NO:
Look, the Stars have some nice pieces up front. Nobody’s denying that. And nobody’s denying they’re a fun team to watch. But Cup contenders? Come on. That blue line is not even close to championship caliber. You know who wins Stanley Cups? Teams with guys like Drew Doughty, Duncan Keith, and Zdeno Chara playing big minutes on the back end. You know who doesn’t? A team with Alex Goligoski and Trevor Daley on its top pair. How Jim Nill is “excited” about his defense is a complete mystery. Maybe in a few years, when some of the Stars’ defensive prospects have developed, we can say they’re legit contenders. But not yet. Especially not in the Western Conference.
OK, go vote:
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 79
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5
- Wild assistant Sydor arrested for suspected drunk driving, child endangerment 30
- It’s Montreal Canadiens day at PHT 14
- Capitals’ biggest question: Is this finally the year? 32