Aug 8, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Alex Burrows‘ time as the Sedin twins regular linemate might have come to a close. When Canucks GM Jim Benning signed Radim Vrbata to a two-year, $10 million contract, it was with the belief that he’d be a “good fit” on the top line.
In other words, Burrows will likely drop in the depth charts and might also see his role on the power play reduced, but he insists that doesn’t bother him.
“The team winning games is way more important than me scoring goals with the twins,” Burrows told Sportsnet.
History is repeating itself to a degree as Burrows previously played behind Vrbata in the depth charts when they were members of the QMJHL’s Shawinigan Cataractes.
“Throughout the last 12, 13 years we’ve always talked to each other a bit or in warm-ups said hi to each other,” Burrows said. “I’d like to think we have a good relationship.”
Now 33, Burrows is coming off of a rough season where he recorded just five goals and 15 points in 48 games. Although the Canucks might not be counting on him to play alongside the twins anymore, they’re still hoping he’ll rebound so that he can help provide the team with the depth necessary to be competitive.
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 20
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)