Aug 8, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Alex Burrows‘ time as the Sedin twins regular linemate might have come to a close. When Canucks GM Jim Benning signed Radim Vrbata to a two-year, $10 million contract, it was with the belief that he’d be a “good fit” on the top line.
In other words, Burrows will likely drop in the depth charts and might also see his role on the power play reduced, but he insists that doesn’t bother him.
“The team winning games is way more important than me scoring goals with the twins,” Burrows told Sportsnet.
History is repeating itself to a degree as Burrows previously played behind Vrbata in the depth charts when they were members of the QMJHL’s Shawinigan Cataractes.
“Throughout the last 12, 13 years we’ve always talked to each other a bit or in warm-ups said hi to each other,” Burrows said. “I’d like to think we have a good relationship.”
Now 33, Burrows is coming off of a rough season where he recorded just five goals and 15 points in 48 games. Although the Canucks might not be counting on him to play alongside the twins anymore, they’re still hoping he’ll rebound so that he can help provide the team with the depth necessary to be competitive.
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 3
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 6
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Miller suffers upper body injury in Bruins win 3
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ 45
- Report: Islanders were sold for $485 million 8
- Scrivens believes Oilers are ‘starting to build winning habits’ 9
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (119)
- Discuss: Avs beat B’s with last-second — literally! — goal (64)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Panthers set another record with low attendance (56)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (53)