Aug 8, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Alex Burrows‘ time as the Sedin twins regular linemate might have come to a close. When Canucks GM Jim Benning signed Radim Vrbata to a two-year, $10 million contract, it was with the belief that he’d be a “good fit” on the top line.
In other words, Burrows will likely drop in the depth charts and might also see his role on the power play reduced, but he insists that doesn’t bother him.
“The team winning games is way more important than me scoring goals with the twins,” Burrows told Sportsnet.
History is repeating itself to a degree as Burrows previously played behind Vrbata in the depth charts when they were members of the QMJHL’s Shawinigan Cataractes.
“Throughout the last 12, 13 years we’ve always talked to each other a bit or in warm-ups said hi to each other,” Burrows said. “I’d like to think we have a good relationship.”
Now 33, Burrows is coming off of a rough season where he recorded just five goals and 15 points in 48 games. Although the Canucks might not be counting on him to play alongside the twins anymore, they’re still hoping he’ll rebound so that he can help provide the team with the depth necessary to be competitive.
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 6
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 33
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 17
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 28
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 9
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (106)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (91)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)