Aug 8, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Alex Burrows‘ time as the Sedin twins regular linemate might have come to a close. When Canucks GM Jim Benning signed Radim Vrbata to a two-year, $10 million contract, it was with the belief that he’d be a “good fit” on the top line.
In other words, Burrows will likely drop in the depth charts and might also see his role on the power play reduced, but he insists that doesn’t bother him.
“The team winning games is way more important than me scoring goals with the twins,” Burrows told Sportsnet.
History is repeating itself to a degree as Burrows previously played behind Vrbata in the depth charts when they were members of the QMJHL’s Shawinigan Cataractes.
“Throughout the last 12, 13 years we’ve always talked to each other a bit or in warm-ups said hi to each other,” Burrows said. “I’d like to think we have a good relationship.”
Now 33, Burrows is coming off of a rough season where he recorded just five goals and 15 points in 48 games. Although the Canucks might not be counting on him to play alongside the twins anymore, they’re still hoping he’ll rebound so that he can help provide the team with the depth necessary to be competitive.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (44)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)