Aug 8, 2014, 9:55 PM EDT
When Dallas Stars GM Jim Nill acquired Tyler Seguin, he was giving the team one of the best young duos in hockey. Seguin and Jamie Benn combined to score 71 goals and 163 points in their first season together.
More often than not, rookie Valeri Nichushkin was playing alongside them and while he didn’t put up nearly as many points as Seguin or Benn, he did have a solid season with 14 goals, 20 assists, and a plus-20 rating. Nichushkin, who turned 19 in March, also represented Russia in the 2014 Olympics and drew some high praise along the way.
Benn noted that sometimes when Nichushkin is carrying the puck “it’s almost like Malkin” because he “skates like the wind.” Benn is obviously biased in favor of his teammate, but after New Jersey Devils forward Jaromir Jagr watched Nichushkin play in three games, he was left with the impression that Nichushkin “is going to be the best in the world one day.”
That’s incredible expectations to thrust upon Nichushkin and maybe he’ll never reach that level, but the ceiling for him is clearly high. It might take a couple more seasons before he breaks out, the Stars’ elite duo might evolve into a fearsome trio.
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 6
- Five big games to watch this weekend 7
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 15
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 56
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)