Aug 7, 2014, 8:35 PM EDT
John Tavares has had a lot of time to prepare for the 2014-15 campaign. Far more than he ever wanted.
Tavares had 24 goals and 66 points in 59 games with the Isladners when he suffered a partially torn MCL during the Winter Olympics. He was forced to miss the last 22 games of the season as a result.
“While the summer’s been good for other reasons, it’s been too long and I want to change that this coming season,” Tavares said, per the team’s website. “It’s probably the longest stretch I’ve ever gone without playing. I’m looking forward to training camp and I want to finish off the summer strong and come into the year motivated with a lot to prove.”
The Islanders as a whole have endured a long summer after they finished 2013-14 with the third worst record in the Eastern Conference. Aiming to avoid a repeat of that disappointing result, they have signed goaltenders Jaroslav Halak and Chad Johnson as well as forwards Cory Conacher, Mikhail Grabovski, and Nikolai Kulemin.
Tavares is encouraged by the moves the Islanders have made and thinks that there will be plenty of competition during training camp. However, he still has to wait another two months before he’ll get to play in his next regular season game.
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 6
- Five big games to watch this weekend 7
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 15
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 56
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)