Aug 7, 2014, 8:35 PM EDT
John Tavares has had a lot of time to prepare for the 2014-15 campaign. Far more than he ever wanted.
Tavares had 24 goals and 66 points in 59 games with the Isladners when he suffered a partially torn MCL during the Winter Olympics. He was forced to miss the last 22 games of the season as a result.
“While the summer’s been good for other reasons, it’s been too long and I want to change that this coming season,” Tavares said, per the team’s website. “It’s probably the longest stretch I’ve ever gone without playing. I’m looking forward to training camp and I want to finish off the summer strong and come into the year motivated with a lot to prove.”
The Islanders as a whole have endured a long summer after they finished 2013-14 with the third worst record in the Eastern Conference. Aiming to avoid a repeat of that disappointing result, they have signed goaltenders Jaroslav Halak and Chad Johnson as well as forwards Cory Conacher, Mikhail Grabovski, and Nikolai Kulemin.
Tavares is encouraged by the moves the Islanders have made and thinks that there will be plenty of competition during training camp. However, he still has to wait another two months before he’ll get to play in his next regular season game.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 7
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 19
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 17
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 22
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 50
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 22
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 15
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)