Aug 7, 2014, 3:58 PM EDT
Teemu Selanne’s time in the NHL is in the books, but as we previously reported, he’s apparently considering extending his hockey career by playing for his old Finnish squad, Jokerit. The team, which will move from Finland’s top league to the KHL in 2014-15, is interested in bringing him on board. Very interested.
They are willing to pay him $10 million for the season, according to USanomat’s Juha Hiitela. If the 44-year-old forward doesn’t want to go through the hassle of traveling with the team, he can alternatively earn $5 million by playing exclusively in home games.
Selanne started his professional hockey career with Jokerit before he made the transition to North America. He also played for Jokerit during the 1994-95 lockout.
Based on Cap Geek’s estimates, if he took the $10 million contract it would mean that he will make more playing hockey in the 2014-15 campaign than he did for any one season during his NHL career. His current personal best was his $9.5 million salary for 2001-02. He came with a $2 million cap hit last season.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)