Aug 7, 2014, 3:58 PM EST
Teemu Selanne’s time in the NHL is in the books, but as we previously reported, he’s apparently considering extending his hockey career by playing for his old Finnish squad, Jokerit. The team, which will move from Finland’s top league to the KHL in 2014-15, is interested in bringing him on board. Very interested.
They are willing to pay him $10 million for the season, according to USanomat’s Juha Hiitela. If the 44-year-old forward doesn’t want to go through the hassle of traveling with the team, he can alternatively earn $5 million by playing exclusively in home games.
Selanne started his professional hockey career with Jokerit before he made the transition to North America. He also played for Jokerit during the 1994-95 lockout.
Based on Cap Geek’s estimates, if he took the $10 million contract it would mean that he will make more playing hockey in the 2014-15 campaign than he did for any one season during his NHL career. His current personal best was his $9.5 million salary for 2001-02. He came with a $2 million cap hit last season.
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 22
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 23
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (65)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)