Aug 7, 2014, 3:58 PM EDT
Teemu Selanne’s time in the NHL is in the books, but as we previously reported, he’s apparently considering extending his hockey career by playing for his old Finnish squad, Jokerit. The team, which will move from Finland’s top league to the KHL in 2014-15, is interested in bringing him on board. Very interested.
They are willing to pay him $10 million for the season, according to USanomat’s Juha Hiitela. If the 44-year-old forward doesn’t want to go through the hassle of traveling with the team, he can alternatively earn $5 million by playing exclusively in home games.
Selanne started his professional hockey career with Jokerit before he made the transition to North America. He also played for Jokerit during the 1994-95 lockout.
Based on Cap Geek’s estimates, if he took the $10 million contract it would mean that he will make more playing hockey in the 2014-15 campaign than he did for any one season during his NHL career. His current personal best was his $9.5 million salary for 2001-02. He came with a $2 million cap hit last season.
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 20
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)