Aug 7, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
We know there’s not a lot in the way of hockey going on, but the World Junior Evaluation Camp is going on in Lake Placid, NY for Team USA.
Potential 2015 NHL Draft top pick Jack Eichel was a big part of Team USA’s 7-1 win against Sweden. The future Boston University forward had three assists and helped Minnesota Wild 2014 first-round pick Alex Tuch bag a hat trick in the blowout win.
NHL fans haven’t had much of a look at Eichel while all the talk about next year’s draft has focused on Erie Otters forward Connor McDavid. His appearance at the Lake Placid camp is the first real opportunity for fans to get an idea what he’s all about. As he told Adam Kimelman of NHL.com, he’s anxious to prove he’s right there with McDavid.
“I think it’s in everyone’s competitive nature that they want to go No. 1,” Eichel said. “If I sat here and told you I didn’t want to go No. 1 I’d be lying.”
He may get a couple more chances to prove himself at the WJC Camp with games against Finland and the Czech Republic still to go this week. Expect to hear a lot more about both Eichel and McDavid all season leading up to the 2015 Draft in Sunrise, Florida.
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 23
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 46
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 20
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 85
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 18
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 15
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 47
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 5
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (87)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)