Aug 7, 2014, 9:10 PM EDT
The Carolina Hurricanes have inked defenseman Haydn Fleury to a three-year, entry-level deal, per the team’s website.
Fleury, who was taken with the seventh overall pick in the 2014 NHL Entry Draft, can earn $832,500 annually at the NHL level and got a $277,500 signing bonus.
“(Fleury) performed very well at our development camp and we are looking forward to seeing him in Traverse City and during training camp in Raleigh,” GM Ron Francis said.
He’s facing an uphill battle to make the team in 2014-15 as Carolina has six blueliners signed to one-way contracts, not including Ryan Murphy. At 6-foot-3, 207 pounds, Fleury wouldn’t look out of place in the NHL from a physical perspective, but defensemen can take longer to develop than forwards and Fleury only has two complete WHL seasons under his belt.
He had eight goals and 46 points in 70 games with the Red Deer Rebels in 2013-14.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 12
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 25
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)