Aug 7, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT
9 — The number of NHL general managers who thought Semyon Varlamov deserved to win the Vezina Trophy. Unfortunately for him, 16 thought Tuukka Rask deserved it, so the award went to the Bruins’ excellent netminder. But Varlamov finished a close second in the voting, well in front of the other finalist, Tampa Bay’s Ben Bishop.
1,867 — The number of saves Varlamov made in 2013-14. That was the most of any NHL goalie, and significantly more than Rask (1,526), who played behind a Boston team that gave up fewer shots on average (29.1) than Colorado (32.7).
6 — The number of times Varlamov stopped 40 shots or more and the Avs won the game. The 26-year-old’s highest save total in a victory was 47, in a 3-2 win over San Jose on Mar. 29. Rask, by comparison, stopped 40 or more shots in two Boston victories last season.
.927 — Varlamov’s save percentage. Among goalies who started more than 30 games, only Rask (.930) stopped a higher percentage of the shots he faced. Varlamov did have a .924 save percentage in 2010-11 with the Washington Capitals, but he only started 25 games that season, compared to 60 this past season.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 0
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 6
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 9
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 37
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)