Aug 7, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT
9 — The number of NHL general managers who thought Semyon Varlamov deserved to win the Vezina Trophy. Unfortunately for him, 16 thought Tuukka Rask deserved it, so the award went to the Bruins’ excellent netminder. But Varlamov finished a close second in the voting, well in front of the other finalist, Tampa Bay’s Ben Bishop.
1,867 — The number of saves Varlamov made in 2013-14. That was the most of any NHL goalie, and significantly more than Rask (1,526), who played behind a Boston team that gave up fewer shots on average (29.1) than Colorado (32.7).
6 — The number of times Varlamov stopped 40 shots or more and the Avs won the game. The 26-year-old’s highest save total in a victory was 47, in a 3-2 win over San Jose on Mar. 29. Rask, by comparison, stopped 40 or more shots in two Boston victories last season.
.927 — Varlamov’s save percentage. Among goalies who started more than 30 games, only Rask (.930) stopped a higher percentage of the shots he faced. Varlamov did have a .924 save percentage in 2010-11 with the Washington Capitals, but he only started 25 games that season, compared to 60 this past season.
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 14
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 4
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 23
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 94
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 10
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 16
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 18
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 35
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (96)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (89)