Aug 7, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT
9 — The number of NHL general managers who thought Semyon Varlamov deserved to win the Vezina Trophy. Unfortunately for him, 16 thought Tuukka Rask deserved it, so the award went to the Bruins’ excellent netminder. But Varlamov finished a close second in the voting, well in front of the other finalist, Tampa Bay’s Ben Bishop.
1,867 — The number of saves Varlamov made in 2013-14. That was the most of any NHL goalie, and significantly more than Rask (1,526), who played behind a Boston team that gave up fewer shots on average (29.1) than Colorado (32.7).
6 — The number of times Varlamov stopped 40 shots or more and the Avs won the game. The 26-year-old’s highest save total in a victory was 47, in a 3-2 win over San Jose on Mar. 29. Rask, by comparison, stopped 40 or more shots in two Boston victories last season.
.927 — Varlamov’s save percentage. Among goalies who started more than 30 games, only Rask (.930) stopped a higher percentage of the shots he faced. Varlamov did have a .924 save percentage in 2010-11 with the Washington Capitals, but he only started 25 games that season, compared to 60 this past season.
- All eyes on Lundqvist 8
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 9
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 27
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 46
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)