Aug 7, 2014, 7:29 PM EDT
This summer, NBC Sports’ social media team is conducting the #NHLGreatest initiative, designed for fans to choose the best player in each franchise’s history. Balloting was conducted through three platforms — Facebook, Twitter and Instagram — with thousands of votes being cast. The results of this initiative will be released throughout the month of August, in conjunction with PHT’s Team of the Day series.
1. Joe Sakic — 1,602 Votes
2. Patrick Roy — 1,235 Votes
3. Peter Forsberg — 576 Votes
Avalanche fans were presented with a tough choice, but in the end, the team’s long-time captain edged one of the NHL’s all-time greatest goaltenders. Sakic spent his entire career with the Quebec/Colorado franchise and is their all-time leader in games played, goals, assists, and a slew of other categories.
He also led the Avalanche to two Stanley Cup championships and won the Conn Smythe Trophy in 1996. While his playing career is done, he might have more championships left in him.
Rather than fade off into the sunset after he hung up his skates, Sakic has taken an active role in shaping the Avalanche as their executive vice president of hockey operations. He has become the public face of the management side of the team and, along with new head coach Patrick Roy, has played an integral role in breathing new life into the franchise.
Only time will tell if the moves he’s making will pay off, but for now the Sakic era is still going strong in Colorado.
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 0
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 12
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 1
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 8
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 15
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 70
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 65
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)