Aug 6, 2014, 9:00 AM EST
Having already locked up Lehner to a three-year extension, assistant GM Pierre Dorion will now get to work on an extension for Anderson, the Ottawa Sun reports:
Speaking in a conference call after signing Lehner to a deal that will pay him an average of $2.275 million per-season, assistant GM Pierre Dorion confirmed he’ll now work on Anderson.
Though GM Bryan Murray is battling cancer he’s running the show and instructed Dorion to hold talks with Anderson’s Chicago-based agent Justin Duberman to see what he’s thinking.
“I did talk to (Duberman) a few weeks back and said we’d like to get Robin Lehner done first and then we could talk about an extension,” said Dorion.
Anderson, 33, is coming off a disappointing year. Injuries and ineffective play limited him to just 53 appearances, in which he went 25-16-8 with a 3.00 GAA and .911 save percentage. The disappointment was magnified given his brilliance during the lockout-shortened ’13 campaign — Anderson went 12-9-2 with a .941 save percentage and 1.69 GAA, finishing fourth in Vezina and 12th in Hart voting. He was also stellar in that spring’s opening-round playoff series against Montreal, allowing just nine goals on 180 shots — good for a .950 save percentage — in the five-game victory.
As for money on Anderson’s new deal, it’ll be interesting to see what Ottawa’s willing to spend. Lehner will pull down $1.5 million next season, $2.025 million in 2015-16 and $3.15 million in 2016-17; Anderson, meanwhile, has one year remaining at $3.18M.
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 0
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 2
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 2
- Devils fire DeBoer 20
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 3
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 18
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)