Aug 6, 2014, 8:20 PM EDT
With the news of the San Jose Sharks hosting the Los Angeles Kings at Levi’s Stadium in Santa Clara, many fans wondered why an outdoor game between the two teams wouldn’t be played at the home of the San Francisco Giants in AT&T Park.
Turns out an outdoor game may be headed there in the future anyhow.
According to David Pollak of the San Jose Mercury News, chances are good that if another games is to be played outside in Northern California it’ll be played in San Francisco.
“My guess is that we will, in the next few years, be back and we’ll probably be up at AT&T. What we’re trying to do ultimately with this game is get more people into hockey and the more people that can see it, the better,” senior NHL vice-president in charge of special events Don Renzulli said. “If we can show Santa Clara and that area what we have to offer outdoors and then bring it up to San Francisco in a few years, it’s a win-win for everybody.”
Aside from Levi’s Stadium having larger seating capacity, its proximity to San Jose was also kept in mind when deciding between there and AT&T Park. Santa Clara is right near San Jose whereas San Francisco is about 50 miles away. While Levi’s Stadium is brand spanking new and set to play host to the San Francisco 49ers starting this season, AT&T Park has already become an iconic stop.
Safe to say if Sharks and Kings fans can pack out the park on February 21, AT&T Park will get a shot to host a Stadium Series game, or perhaps even a Winter Classic, in the future.
Aug 1, 2015, 9:45 AM EDT
He signed a two-year, bridge contract worth $5.6 million on Thursday.
Jul 31, 2015, 10:22 PM EDT
He’s also a veteran of 616 career games.
Jul 31, 2015, 9:01 PM EDT
That’s close to the middle between his and Washington’s requests.
Jul 31, 2015, 8:30 PM EDT
The decision surprised Arizona’s general manager.
Jul 31, 2015, 7:01 PM EDT
The defenseman spent the 2014-15 campaign in the Swiss League.
Jul 31, 2015, 5:36 PM EDT
He considers himself a “young 29.”
Jul 31, 2015, 4:11 PM EDT
Ray Shero’s restructure continues.
Jul 31, 2015, 2:46 PM EDT
There is a key deadline approaching though.
Jul 31, 2015, 1:16 PM EDT
Johnson won a gold medal in 1988, but it was taken away because of a positive steroids test.
Jul 31, 2015, 11:50 AM EDT
There’s a $500 million expansion fee to consider.
Jul 31, 2015, 10:24 AM EDT
This will be a key season for him.
Jul 31, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
Because once Voracek’s eight-year contract kicks in, they’ll be part of that list.
Jul 31, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Friday’s collection of links.
Jul 30, 2015, 10:27 PM EDT
Former NHL stars are among the list of likely candidates.
Jul 30, 2015, 9:00 PM EDT
Has Buffalo set itself up for an era of long playoff runs?
Jul 30, 2015, 7:52 PM EDT
The deal is reportedly worth $5.6 million.
Jul 30, 2015, 7:11 PM EDT
At one point he was listed as the top European skater in the 2015 draft.
Jul 30, 2015, 5:52 PM EDT
The Flyers also have forwards Claude Giroux and Sean Couturier locked up.
Jul 30, 2015, 4:22 PM EDT
The 37-year-old still wants to continue his career.
Jul 30, 2015, 3:00 PM EDT
Along with Yao Ming.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 48
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)