Aug 6, 2014, 8:20 PM EDT
With the news of the San Jose Sharks hosting the Los Angeles Kings at Levi’s Stadium in Santa Clara, many fans wondered why an outdoor game between the two teams wouldn’t be played at the home of the San Francisco Giants in AT&T Park.
Turns out an outdoor game may be headed there in the future anyhow.
According to David Pollak of the San Jose Mercury News, chances are good that if another games is to be played outside in Northern California it’ll be played in San Francisco.
“My guess is that we will, in the next few years, be back and we’ll probably be up at AT&T. What we’re trying to do ultimately with this game is get more people into hockey and the more people that can see it, the better,” senior NHL vice-president in charge of special events Don Renzulli said. “If we can show Santa Clara and that area what we have to offer outdoors and then bring it up to San Francisco in a few years, it’s a win-win for everybody.”
Aside from Levi’s Stadium having larger seating capacity, its proximity to San Jose was also kept in mind when deciding between there and AT&T Park. Santa Clara is right near San Jose whereas San Francisco is about 50 miles away. While Levi’s Stadium is brand spanking new and set to play host to the San Francisco 49ers starting this season, AT&T Park has already become an iconic stop.
Safe to say if Sharks and Kings fans can pack out the park on February 21, AT&T Park will get a shot to host a Stadium Series game, or perhaps even a Winter Classic, in the future.
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 2
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 8
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 35
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)