Aug 6, 2014, 8:20 PM EDT
With the news of the San Jose Sharks hosting the Los Angeles Kings at Levi’s Stadium in Santa Clara, many fans wondered why an outdoor game between the two teams wouldn’t be played at the home of the San Francisco Giants in AT&T Park.
Turns out an outdoor game may be headed there in the future anyhow.
According to David Pollak of the San Jose Mercury News, chances are good that if another games is to be played outside in Northern California it’ll be played in San Francisco.
“My guess is that we will, in the next few years, be back and we’ll probably be up at AT&T. What we’re trying to do ultimately with this game is get more people into hockey and the more people that can see it, the better,” senior NHL vice-president in charge of special events Don Renzulli said. “If we can show Santa Clara and that area what we have to offer outdoors and then bring it up to San Francisco in a few years, it’s a win-win for everybody.”
Aside from Levi’s Stadium having larger seating capacity, its proximity to San Jose was also kept in mind when deciding between there and AT&T Park. Santa Clara is right near San Jose whereas San Francisco is about 50 miles away. While Levi’s Stadium is brand spanking new and set to play host to the San Francisco 49ers starting this season, AT&T Park has already become an iconic stop.
Safe to say if Sharks and Kings fans can pack out the park on February 21, AT&T Park will get a shot to host a Stadium Series game, or perhaps even a Winter Classic, in the future.
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 0
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 1
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 10
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 17
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 21
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 36
- Report: Johansen, Blue Jackets talking contract 7
- NHL waiting on World Cup announcement, Olympics decision 9
- Leiweke calls out ‘just terrible’ character of certain players in Leafs organization 30
- Crosby: Pens must ‘find a way to get over that hump’ 13
- Will future tweaks be enough to salvage NHL 15? (50)
- This Darcy Kuemper-Minnesota Wild situation doesn’t sound good (40)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)
- The KHL’s really trying to mow Minnesota’s lawn (38)
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker (36)