Aug 6, 2014, 2:07 PM EST
Three-time Stanley Cup champion, and two-time Olympic silver medalist, Brian Rafalski headlines the 2014 inductees into the U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame.
Karyn Bye Dietz, who was a member of the U.S. women’s team which won gold at the 1998 Olympics, NCAA coach Jeff Sauer and Lou Vairo, an assistant coach for the silver medal-winning U.S. team at the 2002 Salt Lake City Olympics will also be inducted at a ceremony to be held Dec. 4.
“The class of 2014 is an extraordinary collection of individuals that have had an immensely positive impact on hockey in our country,” president of USA Hockey Ron DeGregorio said in a statement Wednesday. “Cumulatively, they have been involved at every level of hockey and this group is a big reason why our sport has advanced to the point it has in the United States.”
Rafalski spent 11 seasons in the NHL with the New Jersey Devils and Detroit Red Wings winning the Stanley Cup in 2000 and 2003 with the Devils and in 2008 with the Wings.
After playing for Sauer at the University of Wisconsin from 1991-95, Rafalski, who went un-drafted, spent four seasons in Europe before signing as a free agent with the Devils in 1999.
A native of Dearborn, Mich., Rafalski finished his NHL career with 79 goals and 515 points in 833 regular-season games. Knee and back injuries forced him to retire following the 2010-11 season at the age of 37. At 40-years of age, Rafalski attempted a brief comeback in 2013-14 playing in three games with the Florida Everblades of the ECHL.
Rafalski represented the United States at the Olympics on three occasions: 2002, 2006 and 2010.
Jan 27, 2015, 11:47 AM EST
“He wants to build for the long term and he understands that there is some suffering involved.”
Jan 27, 2015, 11:43 AM EST
Bob Murray wants a defenseman, according to pretty much everyone.
Jan 27, 2015, 11:12 AM EST
The worst of the storm was saved for New England.
Jan 27, 2015, 10:48 AM EST
Get back into the swing of things.
Jan 27, 2015, 10:48 AM EST
“I’m still a little ways away. Hopefully I keep making the right strides.”
Jan 27, 2015, 9:41 AM EST
Update: Moving him might not be such a bad thing, really.
Jan 27, 2015, 8:28 AM EST
Tuesday’s snowy links.
Jan 27, 2015, 1:35 AM EST
He’ll likely start Tuesday paired with Dan Hamhuis.
Jan 27, 2015, 12:30 AM EST
Latvia could soon have another NHLer to cheer for.
Jan 26, 2015, 11:30 PM EST
The Isles have won both meetings this season.
Jan 26, 2015, 10:25 PM EST
He’s missed 13 games recovering from surgery on his fractured left wrist.
Jan 26, 2015, 9:30 PM EST
Several players had to make alternate arrangements leaving the All-Star Game.
Jan 26, 2015, 8:35 PM EST
Expected to play Wednesday against the Leafs
Jan 26, 2015, 7:30 PM EST
He’s a repeat offender.
Jan 26, 2015, 7:10 PM EST
Teams have till noon eastern time Tuesday to place a claim on the forward.
Jan 26, 2015, 6:16 PM EST
The Avalanche are trying to claw their way into the playoffs.
Jan 26, 2015, 5:52 PM EST
Minnesota had three healthy goaltenders on its roster.
Jan 26, 2015, 4:59 PM EST
Who will play this week?
Jan 26, 2015, 4:22 PM EST
This might be the result of fighting in back-to-back games.
Jan 26, 2015, 3:31 PM EST
Will Mikhail Grabovski step up?
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 3
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 50
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)