Aug 6, 2014, 2:07 PM EDT
Three-time Stanley Cup champion, and two-time Olympic silver medalist, Brian Rafalski headlines the 2014 inductees into the U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame.
Karyn Bye Dietz, who was a member of the U.S. women’s team which won gold at the 1998 Olympics, NCAA coach Jeff Sauer and Lou Vairo, an assistant coach for the silver medal-winning U.S. team at the 2002 Salt Lake City Olympics will also be inducted at a ceremony to be held Dec. 4.
“The class of 2014 is an extraordinary collection of individuals that have had an immensely positive impact on hockey in our country,” president of USA Hockey Ron DeGregorio said in a statement Wednesday. “Cumulatively, they have been involved at every level of hockey and this group is a big reason why our sport has advanced to the point it has in the United States.”
Rafalski spent 11 seasons in the NHL with the New Jersey Devils and Detroit Red Wings winning the Stanley Cup in 2000 and 2003 with the Devils and in 2008 with the Wings.
After playing for Sauer at the University of Wisconsin from 1991-95, Rafalski, who went un-drafted, spent four seasons in Europe before signing as a free agent with the Devils in 1999.
A native of Dearborn, Mich., Rafalski finished his NHL career with 79 goals and 515 points in 833 regular-season games. Knee and back injuries forced him to retire following the 2010-11 season at the age of 37. At 40-years of age, Rafalski attempted a brief comeback in 2013-14 playing in three games with the Florida Everblades of the ECHL.
Rafalski represented the United States at the Olympics on three occasions: 2002, 2006 and 2010.
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 16
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 24
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 13
- Sens tell fans to stop throwing hamburgers 35
- NHL confirms working with Isles, Leddy regarding Twitter threats (Updated) 16
- Snider: Patience is ‘great with the kids,’ but not with ‘the team we have on the ice’ 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (43)