Aug 6, 2014, 2:07 PM EDT
Three-time Stanley Cup champion, and two-time Olympic silver medalist, Brian Rafalski headlines the 2014 inductees into the U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame.
Karyn Bye Dietz, who was a member of the U.S. women’s team which won gold at the 1998 Olympics, NCAA coach Jeff Sauer and Lou Vairo, an assistant coach for the silver medal-winning U.S. team at the 2002 Salt Lake City Olympics will also be inducted at a ceremony to be held Dec. 4.
“The class of 2014 is an extraordinary collection of individuals that have had an immensely positive impact on hockey in our country,” president of USA Hockey Ron DeGregorio said in a statement Wednesday. “Cumulatively, they have been involved at every level of hockey and this group is a big reason why our sport has advanced to the point it has in the United States.”
Rafalski spent 11 seasons in the NHL with the New Jersey Devils and Detroit Red Wings winning the Stanley Cup in 2000 and 2003 with the Devils and in 2008 with the Wings.
After playing for Sauer at the University of Wisconsin from 1991-95, Rafalski, who went un-drafted, spent four seasons in Europe before signing as a free agent with the Devils in 1999.
A native of Dearborn, Mich., Rafalski finished his NHL career with 79 goals and 515 points in 833 regular-season games. Knee and back injuries forced him to retire following the 2010-11 season at the age of 37. At 40-years of age, Rafalski attempted a brief comeback in 2013-14 playing in three games with the Florida Everblades of the ECHL.
Rafalski represented the United States at the Olympics on three occasions: 2002, 2006 and 2010.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 70
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)