Aug 6, 2014, 3:00 PM EST
Ottawa center Kyle Turris will have new responsibilities on his shoulders both on and off the ice this season.
On the ice, Turris, who turns 25 next month, will attempt the daunting task of filling the void left by Jason Spezza, who was dealt to the Dallas Stars July 1.
Turris has had practice in the No. 1 center role with the Senators filling in for Spezza two seasons ago while the veteran was recovering from a back injury.
“It’s something that I’ve been lucky to learn from Spezz for the three years that I’ve been here,” Turris told reporters Tuesday. “I know what to expect and I’m going to be more prepared this year if I get the opportunity.”
The New Westminster, British Columbia native finished the 2012-13 season ninth among centers winning 49 per cent of his face-offs to go along with 12 goals and 29 points during the lockout-shortened year.
Last season, Turris set career highs in goals (26) assists (32) and points (58). He finished 14th among centers winning 50.7 per cent of his draws.
“I don’t think I’m going to adjust my game, maybe the preparation mentally you have to be a little stronger, outside of that I have to continue to play my game and improve my game,” he said “I think every body is going to have more responsibility to chip in and contribute and it’s something we all understand.
“We’ve played when Spezza has been injured and hasn’t been there and we know what to expect.”
Off the ice, Kyle and wife Julie are expecting their first child next month.
“It’s a new chapter in our life that we both can’t wait to begin,” said Turris.
Turris and his teammates have experience dealing with a veteran leaving, former captain Daniel Alfredsson left as a free agent last summer and the result wasn’t pretty. After qualifying for the playoffs despite having an injury-plauged 20012-13 season, the Senators finished fifth in the Atlantic Division.
“Maybe we’ve learned from it with Alfie,” Turris said. “Now we’ve just got to move forward and get into the right mindset.”
With Turris heading into Year 2 of a five-year, $17.5 million contract, Ottawa will be getting a bargain if he can manage the workload demanded of a first line center. Turris’ cap hit is just $3.5 million.
Nov 27, 2014, 9:26 AM EST
The hit generated a five-minute major and game misconduct.
Nov 27, 2014, 8:18 AM EST
Turkey Day’s assortment of links.
Nov 27, 2014, 1:45 AM EST
Callahan and Stamkos lead the way in win over Rangers.
Nov 27, 2014, 12:40 AM EST
Avs fall 3-2 to the Blackhawks.
Nov 26, 2014, 11:55 PM EST
Returned after missing four games due to injury.
Nov 26, 2014, 11:05 PM EST
The Pittsburgh captain reaches point No. 800 in the win.
Nov 26, 2014, 10:20 PM EST
Scores his seventh of the season.
Nov 26, 2014, 9:45 PM EST
Also touches on Martin St. Louis’ return to Tampa Bay.
Nov 26, 2014, 9:08 PM EST
Appeared to hurt his left shoulder. Team calling it an upper body injury.
Nov 26, 2014, 8:42 PM EST
The Winnipeg forward was tossed from the game.
Nov 26, 2014, 8:35 PM EST
Has the game’s opening goal tonight.
Nov 26, 2014, 8:20 PM EST
Gets a double-minor on the play.
Nov 26, 2014, 8:10 PM EST
Spent 13 seasons in Tampa Bay.
Nov 26, 2014, 8:05 PM EST
Opened the scoring for Tampa Bay.
Nov 26, 2014, 7:45 PM EST
Expected to join the Blues for practice on Friday.
Nov 26, 2014, 7:00 PM EST
Replaced by Andre Benoit.
Nov 26, 2014, 6:30 PM EST
Was hurt during Tuesday’s practice.
Nov 26, 2014, 5:31 PM EST
Two teams meet for the second time this season.
Nov 26, 2014, 5:12 PM EST
After an injury to Brian Elliott.
Nov 26, 2014, 5:00 PM EST
Yappy Lappy was at it again.
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 9
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 5
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 16
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Garbutt to have hearing for kneeing Hall 3
- The day before Thanksgiving, six new playoff teams 16
- What they’re saying about St. Louis’ return to Tampa Bay 24
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)