Aug 6, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
Ottawa center Kyle Turris will have new responsibilities on his shoulders both on and off the ice this season.
On the ice, Turris, who turns 25 next month, will attempt the daunting task of filling the void left by Jason Spezza, who was dealt to the Dallas Stars July 1.
Turris has had practice in the No. 1 center role with the Senators filling in for Spezza two seasons ago while the veteran was recovering from a back injury.
“It’s something that I’ve been lucky to learn from Spezz for the three years that I’ve been here,” Turris told reporters Tuesday. “I know what to expect and I’m going to be more prepared this year if I get the opportunity.”
The New Westminster, British Columbia native finished the 2012-13 season ninth among centers winning 49 per cent of his face-offs to go along with 12 goals and 29 points during the lockout-shortened year.
Last season, Turris set career highs in goals (26) assists (32) and points (58). He finished 14th among centers winning 50.7 per cent of his draws.
“I don’t think I’m going to adjust my game, maybe the preparation mentally you have to be a little stronger, outside of that I have to continue to play my game and improve my game,” he said “I think every body is going to have more responsibility to chip in and contribute and it’s something we all understand.
“We’ve played when Spezza has been injured and hasn’t been there and we know what to expect.”
Off the ice, Kyle and wife Julie are expecting their first child next month.
“It’s a new chapter in our life that we both can’t wait to begin,” said Turris.
Turris and his teammates have experience dealing with a veteran leaving, former captain Daniel Alfredsson left as a free agent last summer and the result wasn’t pretty. After qualifying for the playoffs despite having an injury-plauged 20012-13 season, the Senators finished fifth in the Atlantic Division.
“Maybe we’ve learned from it with Alfie,” Turris said. “Now we’ve just got to move forward and get into the right mindset.”
With Turris heading into Year 2 of a five-year, $17.5 million contract, Ottawa will be getting a bargain if he can manage the workload demanded of a first line center. Turris’ cap hit is just $3.5 million.
Sep 18, 2014, 10:08 PM EDT
Peter Chiarelli also (kinda sorta) addressed Johnny Boychuk rumors.
Sep 18, 2014, 10:07 PM EDT
He won’t be paid or count against the cap while he’s injured.
Sep 18, 2014, 9:37 PM EDT
Everyone wins … except Minnesota’s other goalies.
Sep 18, 2014, 8:45 PM EDT
Maybe the English version of his book will be kinder?
Sep 18, 2014, 7:50 PM EDT
Sep 18, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
He fits right in with the Flyers.
Sep 18, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
Could be a slow road to recovery.
Sep 18, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT
At least the Blue Jackets’ GM is ruling out surgery.
Sep 18, 2014, 3:51 PM EDT
He’ll miss at least months, GM Ron Hextall said.
Sep 18, 2014, 3:16 PM EDT
Hey, he’s got less than eight years to go.
Sep 18, 2014, 2:25 PM EDT
“I don’t think I had a conversation with Torts until Christmas last year.”
Sep 18, 2014, 2:24 PM EDT
“The next time I’ll talk publicly about Jaden is when we sign him.”
Sep 18, 2014, 1:42 PM EDT
Never boring in Toronto.
Sep 18, 2014, 12:36 PM EDT
And it’s probably going to be Ryan McDonagh.
Sep 18, 2014, 12:12 PM EDT
Two key youngsters on a Stars team with high hopes.
Sep 18, 2014, 12:06 PM EDT
Former first-round pick missed extensive time to a torn ACL.
Sep 18, 2014, 11:42 AM EDT
Taken 16th overall in 2007.
Sep 18, 2014, 11:27 AM EDT
Remember him? Taken 3rd overall in 2004… behind Alex Ovechkin and Evgeni Malkin.
Sep 18, 2014, 11:10 AM EDT
Tough blow for a kid looking to make the leap this season.
Sep 18, 2014, 11:01 AM EDT
Just a precautionary measure, said GM Jim Rutherford.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)