Aug 5, 2014, 7:27 PM EDT
It didn’t take long for Ron Hextall to find Kimmo Timonen’s replacement.
Just hours after losing Timonen’s services to a blood clotting issue, the Flyers inked former Rangers and Predators defenseman Michael Del Zotto to a one-year deal. Del Zotto, 24, split last season between New York and Nashville and had a nightmarish time in both cities, landing in both Alain Vigneault’s and Barry Trotz’s doghouses.
A former first-round pick, Del Zotto was at one point considered an up-and-coming young blueliner. He finished eighth in Calder voting on the strength of a 37-point campaign in 2009-10 and had a banner year in 2011-12, scoring a career-high 10 goals and 41 points to finish 12th in Norris voting (ahead of Duncan Keith, if you can imagine that.)
But that feels like a long time ago.
Last season was so bad that, according to the New York Post, one NHL club claimed Del Zotto’s reputation was “in tatters.” Nashville didn’t even bother giving him a qualifying offer after he scored just one goal and five points in 25 games, occasionally sitting as a healthy scratch.
In Philadelphia, though, he’ll certainly have a chance to revive his career.
Philly’s new projected top-six defense is Mark Streit, Braydon Coburn, Andrew MacDonald, Nicklas Grossmann, Luke Schenn and Nick Schultz — hardly an impenetrable unit, and one that should provide Del Zotto an opportunity to find minutes. What’s more, he’s an offensive defenseman and Philly is looking to replace some of what Timonen brought to the table — namely on the power play. Timonen was second on the team in PP TOI last season (3:25 per game), and led all Flyer rearguards with 20 power play points.
UPDATE: Per TSN, the deal is for $1.3 million. Assuming Timonen’s $2 million cap hit goes on LTIR, the Flyers get Del Zotto and an additional $700k of relief, which isn’t too shabby.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)