Aug 5, 2014, 7:27 PM EST
It didn’t take long for Ron Hextall to find Kimmo Timonen’s replacement.
Just hours after losing Timonen’s services to a blood clotting issue, the Flyers inked former Rangers and Predators defenseman Michael Del Zotto to a one-year deal. Del Zotto, 24, split last season between New York and Nashville and had a nightmarish time in both cities, landing in both Alain Vigneault’s and Barry Trotz’s doghouses.
A former first-round pick, Del Zotto was at one point considered an up-and-coming young blueliner. He finished eighth in Calder voting on the strength of a 37-point campaign in 2009-10 and had a banner year in 2011-12, scoring a career-high 10 goals and 41 points to finish 12th in Norris voting (ahead of Duncan Keith, if you can imagine that.)
But that feels like a long time ago.
Last season was so bad that, according to the New York Post, one NHL club claimed Del Zotto’s reputation was “in tatters.” Nashville didn’t even bother giving him a qualifying offer after he scored just one goal and five points in 25 games, occasionally sitting as a healthy scratch.
In Philadelphia, though, he’ll certainly have a chance to revive his career.
Philly’s new projected top-six defense is Mark Streit, Braydon Coburn, Andrew MacDonald, Nicklas Grossmann, Luke Schenn and Nick Schultz — hardly an impenetrable unit, and one that should provide Del Zotto an opportunity to find minutes. What’s more, he’s an offensive defenseman and Philly is looking to replace some of what Timonen brought to the table — namely on the power play. Timonen was second on the team in PP TOI last season (3:25 per game), and led all Flyer rearguards with 20 power play points.
UPDATE: Per TSN, the deal is for $1.3 million. Assuming Timonen’s $2 million cap hit goes on LTIR, the Flyers get Del Zotto and an additional $700k of relief, which isn’t too shabby.
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 19
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (67)