Aug 5, 2014, 5:25 PM EDT
Probably not a huge surprise given how disappointing his season was, but Sergei Gonchar was being shopped around the NHL this summer — unsuccessfully, it should be noted — according to Dallas Morning-News scribe Mike Heika.
More, from yesterday’s “rolling chat”:
I was almost 100 percent sure that [Stars GM] Jim Nill would find a way to move Sergei Gonchar before the summer was over, but it looks like that could be more difficult than I imagined.
Even with the team willing to eat half of his $5 million salary (the maximum allowed under the new CBA), the Stars could not find a trade partner for the 40-year-old defenseman.
Gonchar was one of Nill’s first big acquisitions in Dallas, yet has proven to be (arguably) the least successful. The Russian rearguard had just 22 points in 76 games last year — after scoring 27 in 45 during the lockout-shortened ’13 campaign — and averaged 17:37 TOI per game, one of the lowest marks among Stars d-men.
In the playoffs, that TOI dropped even more, to 13:24, and Gonchar went pointless with a minus-3 rating.
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 4
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Report: Dal Colle signs with Islanders (Updated) 1
- Bridge built: Blues lock up Schwartz to two-year deal reportedly worth $4.7M 12
- Comedian Will Arnett at Leafs practice 8
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys (28)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)