Aug 5, 2014, 5:25 PM EDT
Probably not a huge surprise given how disappointing his season was, but Sergei Gonchar was being shopped around the NHL this summer — unsuccessfully, it should be noted — according to Dallas Morning-News scribe Mike Heika.
More, from yesterday’s “rolling chat”:
I was almost 100 percent sure that [Stars GM] Jim Nill would find a way to move Sergei Gonchar before the summer was over, but it looks like that could be more difficult than I imagined.
Even with the team willing to eat half of his $5 million salary (the maximum allowed under the new CBA), the Stars could not find a trade partner for the 40-year-old defenseman.
Gonchar was one of Nill’s first big acquisitions in Dallas, yet has proven to be (arguably) the least successful. The Russian rearguard had just 22 points in 76 games last year — after scoring 27 in 45 during the lockout-shortened ’13 campaign — and averaged 17:37 TOI per game, one of the lowest marks among Stars d-men.
In the playoffs, that TOI dropped even more, to 13:24, and Gonchar went pointless with a minus-3 rating.
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 0
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 9
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 11
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 36
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 55
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)