Aug 5, 2014, 5:25 PM EDT
Probably not a huge surprise given how disappointing his season was, but Sergei Gonchar was being shopped around the NHL this summer — unsuccessfully, it should be noted — according to Dallas Morning-News scribe Mike Heika.
More, from yesterday’s “rolling chat”:
I was almost 100 percent sure that [Stars GM] Jim Nill would find a way to move Sergei Gonchar before the summer was over, but it looks like that could be more difficult than I imagined.
Even with the team willing to eat half of his $5 million salary (the maximum allowed under the new CBA), the Stars could not find a trade partner for the 40-year-old defenseman.
Gonchar was one of Nill’s first big acquisitions in Dallas, yet has proven to be (arguably) the least successful. The Russian rearguard had just 22 points in 76 games last year — after scoring 27 in 45 during the lockout-shortened ’13 campaign — and averaged 17:37 TOI per game, one of the lowest marks among Stars d-men.
In the playoffs, that TOI dropped even more, to 13:24, and Gonchar went pointless with a minus-3 rating.
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 12
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 6
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 34
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (57)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)