Aug 5, 2014, 5:25 PM EDT
Probably not a huge surprise given how disappointing his season was, but Sergei Gonchar was being shopped around the NHL this summer — unsuccessfully, it should be noted — according to Dallas Morning-News scribe Mike Heika.
More, from yesterday’s “rolling chat”:
I was almost 100 percent sure that [Stars GM] Jim Nill would find a way to move Sergei Gonchar before the summer was over, but it looks like that could be more difficult than I imagined.
Even with the team willing to eat half of his $5 million salary (the maximum allowed under the new CBA), the Stars could not find a trade partner for the 40-year-old defenseman.
Gonchar was one of Nill’s first big acquisitions in Dallas, yet has proven to be (arguably) the least successful. The Russian rearguard had just 22 points in 76 games last year — after scoring 27 in 45 during the lockout-shortened ’13 campaign — and averaged 17:37 TOI per game, one of the lowest marks among Stars d-men.
In the playoffs, that TOI dropped even more, to 13:24, and Gonchar went pointless with a minus-3 rating.
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 37
- Getting clutch? Capitals reportedly sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 8
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 28
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 40
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 21
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 39
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Oilers get Sekera for six years, closing in on Letestu 7
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)