Aug 5, 2014, 10:19 PM EST
Joni Pitkanen missed all of last season recovering from a severely broken heel, and it doesn’t sound as though the recuperation process has advanced much.
In a brief interview with Finnish news outlet Kaleva, Pitkanen said he’s a “long way” from returning to play, noting that the injury hasn’t shown much improvement and he also hasn’t resumed skating.
This development comes as a bit of a surprise. In March, a statement — which seemed totally unprompted — was released by the ‘Canes on Pitkanen’s behalf, the first real comment issued by the Finn since shattering his heel in a game against Washington in April of ’13:
“I’ve been working with Raleigh Orthopaedic throughout this season with the hope of returning to play hockey. There is no timetable as of now, but I’ve been making progress with my rehab and it remains my goal to resume my professional hockey career.
“It’s been frustrating to be away from the ice, but I want to thank all of the people who have expressed support throughout the season.”
Further compounding Pitkanen’s situation is the fact his three-year, $13.5 million deal with Carolina expired on July 1, meaning he’s currently an unrestricted free agent.
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 4
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 3
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 2
- Devils fire DeBoer 20
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 3
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 18
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)