Aug 4, 2014, 5:15 PM EDT
Buffalo Sabres coach Ted Nolan has filled out his coaching staff and it has a few familiar faces on it.
The Sabres announced they have hired Bryan Trottier, Danny Flynn, Tom Coolen as assistant coaches and Arturs Irbe as the goalie coach. As you might expect, Nolan is excited about the group he’s put together.
“I’m very happy with the group of talented hockey minds we were able to assemble for our coaching staff,” Nolan said. “Each one of these coaches brings an extensive and different background from the hockey world and I’m confident they will help get our team to where it needs to go this season.”
Trottier we’d heard rumors about him being brought on board from before. Same goes for Flynn, as Bill Hoppe at Buffalo Hockey Beat shared, who once worked with Nolan in junior hockey with the Soo Greyhounds and Moncton Wildcats.
Coolen was a part of Nolan’s staff with Team Latvia and was also a former head coach in Moncton, as Willy Pavlov at The Chronicle Herald shared.
Irbe should be familiar to NHL fans. He spent 13 seasons in the NHL most famously with the San Jose Sharks and Carolina Hurricanes. He led the Hurricanes to the Stanley Cup Final in 2002 before losing to the Detroit Red Wings. He was also the Washington Capitals’ goalie coach from 2009-2011 where he worked with current Sabres goalie Michal Neuvirth.
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 45
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 24
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 11
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)