Aug 4, 2014, 10:05 PM EST
Buffalo Sabres GM Tim Murray now has someone to work alongside him.
The Sabres announced they’ve hired Mark Jakubowski as the assistant general manager. He has been with the Sabres already for 10 years, six of those as the assistant to the general manager under former GM Darcy Regier. This makes for a solid promotion.
The hiring is a bit curious as Kevin Devine was already the assistant GM, but according to reports he’s still working with the organization and is still listed as assistant GM on the team’s website.
Having more than one assistant GM isn’t necessarily a big deal — take a look at the Pittsburgh Penguins who have three assistant GMs and a President of Hockey Operations to go along with GM Jim Rutherford.
The Sabres also announced they’ve hired Rob Murphy and Greg Royce as the director of scouting and director of amateur scouting respectively. They worked alongside Murray with the Ottawa Senators.
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 4
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 6
- The Atlantic Division race is going to be fascinating 8
- Flyers rally as Zepp wins his career debut at 33 years old 19
- Oilers squander three-goal lead, lose 18th time in 19 games 11
- Pickard makes one last bid to stay, beats Wings in nine-round SO 6
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno 37
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 17
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 18
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 8