Aug 4, 2014, 10:05 PM EDT
Buffalo Sabres GM Tim Murray now has someone to work alongside him.
The Sabres announced they’ve hired Mark Jakubowski as the assistant general manager. He has been with the Sabres already for 10 years, six of those as the assistant to the general manager under former GM Darcy Regier. This makes for a solid promotion.
The hiring is a bit curious as Kevin Devine was already the assistant GM, but according to reports he’s still working with the organization and is still listed as assistant GM on the team’s website.
Having more than one assistant GM isn’t necessarily a big deal — take a look at the Pittsburgh Penguins who have three assistant GMs and a President of Hockey Operations to go along with GM Jim Rutherford.
The Sabres also announced they’ve hired Rob Murphy and Greg Royce as the director of scouting and director of amateur scouting respectively. They worked alongside Murray with the Ottawa Senators.
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 0
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 9
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 33
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 9
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 32
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 38
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)