Radulov says he ‘became a hockey player’ under Trotz

Aug 4, 2014, 8:35 PM EST

Alexander Radulov Getty Images

One of the things people are anxious to see in the upcoming season is how things will go in Washington between Alex Ovechkin and Barry Trotz.

Trotz has said things might get uncomfortable under his watch as he brings a new culture and more accountability to the table. Could that be trouble for Ovechkin? Not if you asked former Nashville Predator, and his Team Russia teammate, Alexander Radulov.

Pavel Lysenkov of Sovetsky Sport shared a quote from Radulov (via Dmitry Chesnokov) about what he’d tell Ovechkin if he asked about Trotz. Perhaps surprisingly, it’s all good news.

“Bad coaches don’t work at the same club for 15 years.” Radulov told Lysenkov today. “When I came to Nashville Trotz helped me a lot. I learned a lot. I became a hockey player. The coach trusted me, called me up from the minors. I have only the best memories of Trotz. This is a new challenge for him [in Washington]. Life changed, he had to go. But he has a lot of ideas that he will be able to realize in Washington.”

In case you’ve forgotten, things didn’t exactly end well in Nashville for Radulov after the 2012 Stanley Cup Playoffs. He and Andrei Kostitsyn were benched by Trotz for violating curfew while in Arizona and it caused a major distraction for the Preds as they were bounced from the Western Conference Semifinals in five games by the Coyotes.

It’d be easy for Radulov to hold it against Trotz for things going badly. Instead, he’s talking him up in a big way. Perhaps things will go just fine in Washington.

1. lowenni - Aug 4, 2014 at 8:47 PM

That’s very interesting. As I’ve been saying, if anyone can get Ovi to be the player everyone wants him to be (because 50 goal scorer isn’t enough), it’s Trotz. The fact that radulov, who reportedly had as bad a relationship with Trotz as there could be, says this shows a lot about Trotz. It shows that he understands accountability and Trotz tought him that. Radulov has got as bad an attitude as any hockey player in the world but for him to say this should put all the Ovi/Trotz worries to rest. Ovi’s a respectful guy.

2. vbcaps - Aug 4, 2014 at 9:01 PM

2 months til puck drop. Go caps.

3. capsnbohs23 - Aug 4, 2014 at 9:53 PM

Blomfeld – “derp derp derp, derppity derppity doo, derp derp da derp da derp”

• dipthatchip - Aug 4, 2014 at 10:45 PM

lololol. made my day with this one

• barkar942 - Aug 5, 2014 at 12:01 AM

You forgot the video!

• blomfeld - Aug 5, 2014 at 1:10 AM

serious question here and I’m not trying to be funny …

it’s like, are you guys a bunch of ‘suck holes’ or something ?

• i1theinternet - Aug 5, 2014 at 10:37 AM

you were doing so well.

• govtminion - Aug 5, 2014 at 8:14 AM

You have his essence down to a ‘t’. I salute you, sir.

4. esracerx46 - Aug 4, 2014 at 10:09 PM

I really have to commend Radulov on saying that. We all think he’s just another immature yet talented player. But those comments show more about him as a person.

5. endusersolutions2013 - Aug 4, 2014 at 10:14 PM

Class comments

6. predhed - Aug 4, 2014 at 11:31 PM

Rads needs to come back home to Nashville. Total class act! Who’da guessed that?

7. 950003cups - Aug 5, 2014 at 1:54 AM

I’m sure Barry “No Neck” Trotz would say Radulov is a diick!!!!!!

8. Gigagigagilgamesh - Aug 5, 2014 at 2:50 AM

Wow you trust Dmitry Chesnokov??

Isn’t he the same Yahoo journalist who made up that story about Voynov talking smack about Quick during the olympics…
    Talk about credibility~

9. charastein - Aug 5, 2014 at 6:06 PM

Trotz has gotta be better than Oates who never seemed to reach the players. Oates seems like he is meant to be a supporting cast member rather than being “the big dog” behind the bench.

Coaches in and out of the hot seat

Top 10 NHL Player Searches