Aug 4, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Remember when goalie mask art was dominated by ferocious monsters and fearsome beasts? OK, those are still out there, but the latest trend might be “mining your youth.”
You know what’s oddly fitting, though? The Ducks’ potential battle for the No. 1 goalie gig also takes place in the nostalgia category, as John Gibson counters with a pretty amazing Pac-Man mask from Dave Art:
In case other goalies need some inspiration, here are a few free nostalgia-laced mask ideas:
- Scrooge McDuck diving into a swimming pool full of money (great for goalies who just earned new contracts … Ben Bishop maybe?).
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles without those disturbing noses. (Seriously, Michael Bay … when will it end?)
- He-Man and Skeletor = all you really need.
What type of design would you feature on a goalie mask if you could afford the Dave Art treatment?
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 19
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 18
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 28
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 20
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 53
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (67)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)