Aug 4, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Remember when goalie mask art was dominated by ferocious monsters and fearsome beasts? OK, those are still out there, but the latest trend might be “mining your youth.”
You know what’s oddly fitting, though? The Ducks’ potential battle for the No. 1 goalie gig also takes place in the nostalgia category, as John Gibson counters with a pretty amazing Pac-Man mask from Dave Art:
In case other goalies need some inspiration, here are a few free nostalgia-laced mask ideas:
- Scrooge McDuck diving into a swimming pool full of money (great for goalies who just earned new contracts … Ben Bishop maybe?).
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles without those disturbing noses. (Seriously, Michael Bay … when will it end?)
- He-Man and Skeletor = all you really need.
What type of design would you feature on a goalie mask if you could afford the Dave Art treatment?
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 0
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 3
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)