Aug 3, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Depth was one of the biggest knocks on the 2013-14 Pittsburgh Penguins, so it’s no surprise that’s been a focus during this offseason (maybe even to the detriment of their higher-end). Such a change of pace might help to explain why they’re taking some time to reach a deal with Brandon Sutter.
On the bright side, new GM Jim Rutherford told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette that a deal might come to fruition next week.
“The best way to characterize the process is it’s moving in the right direction,” Rutherford said. “I would suspect by next week we might be able to get something done.”
Sutter, 25, received a $2.7 million salary and generated a $2.067 million cap hit in his most recent season. In a way, the more relevant contract might be someone else’s; Marcel Goc can play a very comparable role and he carries a team-friendly $1.2 million cap hit.
Obviously, Sutter is five years younger, yet that also makes him an RFA. Term is actually where things get interesting; back in July, the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reported that Sutter wants a one-year deal so he can hit the market as a UFA next summer while Rutherford would prefer a longer one.
Will it be a bridge deal that compromises a year or two of UFA status for Sutter? Might he take less for the chance at a bigger pay day later? The Penguins currently have about $4.23 million in cap space and would likely want to retain some wiggle room during the season, so it could be an interesting situation to watch.
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 7
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 22
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 7
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 13
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 47
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 21
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 9
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22