Aug 3, 2014, 5:46 PM EDT
Well, it turns out that the two sides essentially put things on pause. While that previously reported talk of Johansen’s camp compromising on a “bridge” contract is a good thing – he originally wanted a deal that covered him until he could become an unrestricted free agent – the Columbus Dispatch’s Aaron Portzline reports that money is a big holdup.
Actually, Portzline puts it all in such a fun way that it might even distract Blue Jackets from being bummed out about the situation for at least a moment:
Asked this weekend if they were still far apart, one of the interested parties responded via text: “Hectares.”
For those metric users, that’s 10,000 square meters. For non-metric users, that’s 2.47 acres. For those non-math types, that’s a big ol’ gap.
Here’s a challenge for your Sunday: incorporate that unit of measurement into conversation as much as possible.
“It feels like the regular season is hectares away right now.”
“Mowing the lawn would be easier if I didn’t have to cut hectares of grass.”
All measurement silliness aside, it’s easy to see why this is a tough negotiating situation between the team and their budding 22-year-old star. The 2013-14 season represented such a gigantic leap in production that it’s difficult to tell if he’s just scratching the surface of his potential or if he was playing a little over his head.
As an RFA, Johansen’s options are limited, but the Blue Jackets might also want to walk the line between driving a hard bargain and earning some goodwill in the future. After all, quality young players often come cheaper “now” than they do “later.”
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 61
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5