Aug 3, 2014, 5:46 PM EST
Well, it turns out that the two sides essentially put things on pause. While that previously reported talk of Johansen’s camp compromising on a “bridge” contract is a good thing – he originally wanted a deal that covered him until he could become an unrestricted free agent – the Columbus Dispatch’s Aaron Portzline reports that money is a big holdup.
Actually, Portzline puts it all in such a fun way that it might even distract Blue Jackets from being bummed out about the situation for at least a moment:
Asked this weekend if they were still far apart, one of the interested parties responded via text: “Hectares.”
For those metric users, that’s 10,000 square meters. For non-metric users, that’s 2.47 acres. For those non-math types, that’s a big ol’ gap.
Here’s a challenge for your Sunday: incorporate that unit of measurement into conversation as much as possible.
“It feels like the regular season is hectares away right now.”
“Mowing the lawn would be easier if I didn’t have to cut hectares of grass.”
All measurement silliness aside, it’s easy to see why this is a tough negotiating situation between the team and their budding 22-year-old star. The 2013-14 season represented such a gigantic leap in production that it’s difficult to tell if he’s just scratching the surface of his potential or if he was playing a little over his head.
As an RFA, Johansen’s options are limited, but the Blue Jackets might also want to walk the line between driving a hard bargain and earning some goodwill in the future. After all, quality young players often come cheaper “now” than they do “later.”
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 81
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 42
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 31
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 18
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 78
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 18
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 17
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (81)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)