Aug 3, 2014, 4:18 PM EDT
The 26-year-old sniper definitely rues that season-ending stretch in which they only won two of their last 14 games, claiming that they “won’t go through one of those again.”
“We don’t have that stretch, we’re right in it,” Kessel said. “This year we made some good additions and I think we improved as a team, and we’re going to be ready to go.”
It’s certainly been a tumultuous offseason for Toronto, although many of the key figures and players remain in the fold. Then again, depth is becoming a key difference-maker in the NHL, so perhaps the Leafs’ offseason tweaks can help them avoid big losing streaks next time.
Kessel was at the Rexall Centre for the Rogers Cup on Sunday, giving him a chance to play ball hockey with Roger Federer of all people, as you can see from his Instagram feed:
Hey, maybe Kessel can take a few tips on putting away pesky opponents from one of tennis’ all-time greats?
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 79
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5
- Wild assistant Sydor arrested for suspected drunk driving, child endangerment 30
- It’s Montreal Canadiens day at PHT 14
- Capitals’ biggest question: Is this finally the year? 32