Aug 2, 2014, 10:10 AM EDT
When it comes to individual accomplishments, there’s no question that Sidney Crosby has achieved more than Jonathan Toews, but Toews is the one that’s captained his team to a pair of Stanley Cup championships and has won the Conn Smythe Trophy.
NBC analyst Jeremy Roenick said in May that while Crosby is the better player, he would sooner build a team around Toews. The fact that the comparisons are being made was brought up to Toews during a FAN 590 interview and he was asked what he thinks of them.
“I think you’ve got to take it with a grain of salt,” Toews said. “I mean, I think there’s many situations where our team success in Chicago could hit a rough patch and myself and Kane or whoever else normally gets the credit for that could take most of the responsibility. So it goes one of two ways.
“I think it’s an honor to hear something like that, but like I said, I still feel every year I’ve got a lot to prove and as a team we want to win more than ever, having had that experience twice already.”
As Toews suggested, those conversations will likely swayed by how Chicago and Pittsburgh do going forward. Both teams are great on paper and while the Blackhawks have excelled while the Penguins have struggled to live up to expectations, there’s no guarantee that those trends will persist going forward.
(h/t CSN Chicago)
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 22
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 21
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 33
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 20
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 53
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (67)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)