Aug 2, 2014, 10:10 AM EDT
When it comes to individual accomplishments, there’s no question that Sidney Crosby has achieved more than Jonathan Toews, but Toews is the one that’s captained his team to a pair of Stanley Cup championships and has won the Conn Smythe Trophy.
NBC analyst Jeremy Roenick said in May that while Crosby is the better player, he would sooner build a team around Toews. The fact that the comparisons are being made was brought up to Toews during a FAN 590 interview and he was asked what he thinks of them.
“I think you’ve got to take it with a grain of salt,” Toews said. “I mean, I think there’s many situations where our team success in Chicago could hit a rough patch and myself and Kane or whoever else normally gets the credit for that could take most of the responsibility. So it goes one of two ways.
“I think it’s an honor to hear something like that, but like I said, I still feel every year I’ve got a lot to prove and as a team we want to win more than ever, having had that experience twice already.”
As Toews suggested, those conversations will likely swayed by how Chicago and Pittsburgh do going forward. Both teams are great on paper and while the Blackhawks have excelled while the Penguins have struggled to live up to expectations, there’s no guarantee that those trends will persist going forward.
(h/t CSN Chicago)
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 12
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 11
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 39
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 16
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 7
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 6
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 1
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 49
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)